2012 Craft Brew Drinkup
Date/Time TBA; to be held in hospitality suite
The Craft Brew Drinkup at Code4lib 2012 is all about sharing and enjoying good beer with fellow conference attendees. The idea is to bring bottles of your favorite beers.
While you're not obligated to bring local beers from whereever you're from, participants are definitely encouraged to bring beer that you think is special and might be somewhat hard for others outside your area to find. Homebrew is especially welcome. Sign up below with your name, where you're from, and list a few brews or bottles you're thinking about (but not necessarily committing to) bringing along. You can also request that people bring specific beer if you so desire, but don't necessarily expect that your wishes will be granted.
If you do not check bags or otherwise cannot arrange to bring beer from where you call home, you may be interested in buying beer from a local beer store. See the "Buying Beer in Seattle" section below for suggestions.
|Name||Location||Brews or Breweries I might bring||Requests|
|anarchivist||New Haven CT/Brooklyn NY||3 Floyds Dark Lord 2011; maybe Westvleteren Blonde; Berkshire Brewing company||Imperial porters/stouts; really funky-/Brett-tasting beers or wild ales; highly-hopped stuff; interesting session beers|
|kayiwa||Chicago IL||Bourbon County Stout; New Glarus Barleywine|| Barleywines; Aged Stouts; Anything from Deschutes
(psst, Francis: I've got some homebrewed barleywine aging in the basement; i won't be in Seattle but I'll bring some to C4L-Midwest -Kenirwin 13:26, 29 January 2012 (PST))
|danwho||San Diego, CA||Alpine Brewery Exponential Hoppiness; Iron Fist; maybe Lost Abbey; Bud Light||hoppy imperials, sours, funky farmhouses. Also, I'd vote Wednesday or Tuesday evening since a lot of folks are doing the Microsoft tour and/or newcomer dinners Monday|
Add using the following format: (person who you are making the request of): (your request) - (your name)
- Unnamed persons from the Keystone State: Sly Fox, any special Weyerbacher - anarchivist
- anyone: Boulevard smokestack series - danwho
Buying Beer in Seattle
I can think of three good bottleshops (all w/ taps in case you want a growler) that are located on bus lines from downtown:--from an email to the code4lib list
- Bottleworks: Probably the shop I frequent the most. Take the 16 to Wallingford.
- Last Drop: Take the 71,72, or 73 north from downtown and get off at 80th.
- Beer Authority: probably the quickest trip from downtown on the 522. get off at the 125th St stop in Lake City and walk north a couple of blocks.
Lots of other pub/beer places noted on the map
- This is an unofficial event organized by attendees of Code4lib 2012.
- All guests at the Drinkup must be 21 years of age or over with a valid form of ID.
- Any participation in the Drinkup is at your own risk.
- All guests are expected to drink responsibly and behave appropriately.
Packing and Shipping Beer
If you're flying to Code4lib, you will have to consider how to bring your beer. Some attendees in past years have packed beer in their checked luggage, and others have purchased a beer shipper that was checked separately as luggage. In any event, you will not be able to bring beer in carryon luggage.
The following are links to resources that provide info on packing your beer for transit.