2012 Craft Brew Drinkup
Wednesday, February 8, after 9 PM, in hospitality suite
The Craft Brew Drinkup at Code4lib 2012 is all about sharing and enjoying good beer with fellow conference attendees. The idea is to bring bottles of your favorite beers.
While you're not obligated to bring local beers from whereever you're from, participants are definitely encouraged to bring beer that you think is special and might be somewhat hard for others outside your area to find. Homebrew is especially welcome. Sign up below with your name, where you're from, and list a few brews or bottles you're thinking about (but not necessarily committing to) bringing along. You can also request that people bring specific beer if you so desire, but don't necessarily expect that your wishes will be granted.
If you do not check bags or otherwise cannot arrange to bring beer from where you call home, you may be interested in buying beer from a local beer store. See the "Buying Beer in Seattle" section below for suggestions.
|Name||Location||Brews or Breweries I might bring||Requests|
|anarchivist||New Haven CT/Brooklyn NY|| Purchased: Element Brewing Dark Element, Element Brewing Extra Special Oak, Olde Burnside Ten Penny Ale Reserve, Cisco Captain Swain's Extra Stout
Special bottles: Who knows? Something special.
|Imperial porters/stouts; really funky-/Brett-tasting beers or wild ales; highly-hopped stuff; interesting session beers|
|kayiwa||Chicago IL||Bourbon County Stout; New Glarus Barleywine|| Barleywines; Aged Stouts; Anything from Deschutes
(psst, Francis: I've got some homebrewed barleywine aging in the basement; i won't be in Seattle but I'll bring some to C4L-Midwest -Kenirwin 13:26, 29 January 2012 (PST))
|danwho||San Diego, CA||Alpine Brewery Exponential Hoppiness; Iron Fist; maybe Lost Abbey; Bud Light||hoppy imperials, sours, funky farmhouses. Also, I'd vote Wednesday or Tuesday evening since a lot of folks are doing the Microsoft tour and/or newcomer dinners Monday|
|declan||San Diego, CA||hmm, looking over the cellar... Parabola, Black Tuesday, Cherry Adam, Angel Share, Captain stout, Silva.... we'll see!||dark, black stuff. like my heart. Or sours. Or Belgies. Founders, Bells, New Glaris, Goose Island.|
|awead||Cleveland, OH||Founders Porter, some new IPA I found...||Stuff that doesn't suck.|
|bibliotechy||Atlanta, Ga||Some Terrapin beers... Hopsecutioner, Sweetwater Brewery Exodus Porter if it is still around||Boreale noire, rousse or cuivre from Montreal!|
|sdellis||Lambertville, NJ||Riverhorse... (possibly Hop Hazard, but I'll see what's fresh). Maybe Lionshead (pilsner) from Doylestown, PA (legend has it you can drink as much as you want and never get a hangover).||Bitters, pub style, IPAs, brown ales|
|jastirn||Kansas City, KS||Whatever I can get from Wilderness Brewing (KC), Free State (Lawrence, KS), Schlafly Imperial Stout (St. Louis), and Blvd Smokestack (KC) (for Danwho)||More blueberry stout, stouts, lagers, spicy|
|HLPitts||Salem, OR||Hopworks barleywine, Rogue Chocolate Stout, Seven Brides porter, Wandering Aengus cider, and a small variety from Deschutes (including Obsidian for anarchivist)||stouts/porters, sours, red ales|
|bohyunkim||Miami, FL||same as last year - canned bears from Oskar Blues brewery in Colorado unless I spot something better||cider, Rogue Dead Guy, malty, fruity, blonde/gloden ale|
|carmendarlene||San Diego, CA||something from SoCal...Maybe more Alpine. Going shopping at the Best Damn Beer Store later this week.||New Glaris, Goose Island, Three Floyds, Cantillon...stuff that I can't get in San Diego.|
|flyingzumwalt & jcoyne||Minneapolis, MN||Surly Coffee Bender & Surly Cynic, Bell's Two Hearted, Lift Bridge Farm Girl, Crispin Cider||Revivalist beers (ie. Yard's Revolutionary Beers ), New Glarus, Yuengling|
|singlesoliloquy||St. Louis, MO||Schlafly, Six Row.||Good pilsners.|
|pberry||Chico, CA||Hope to buy Chico stuff in SEA, Bigfoot was just released.||Ales|
|calvinmah||Vancouver, Canada||driving to SEA so I'll bring a crate||Beer|
|tara robertson||Vancouver, Canada||two limited release beers from Granville Island Brewing: Fresh Hop ESP, Imperial IPA|
|younga, ward, jeff||Seattle, WA||Random assortment of growlers: Georgetown Brewery, Big Time, Fremont, Epic Ales.|
|lrobare||Eugene, OR||Ninkasi, probably Total Domination and something else|
|scollett||Seattle, WA||Live in Berkeley, CA, but will buy local or raid the beer stash of my Seattle relatives.|
|lisapisa77||Reno, NV||Ichthyosaur "Icky" IPA from Great Basin and probably something else||Alagash or Victory or brown ales|
|chrpr||New York, NY||Brooklyn Sorachi Ace, Southhampton Saison, Probably some other stuff||Sours, Farmhouse, Misc. high abv goodness...|
|carboy||Arlington, TX||Yeti, Mephistopheles||Imperial stout, IPA, barleywine|
|mbaggett||Knoxville, TN||I won't be checking a bag, but I'll be raiding all the Seattle beer spots this weekend. I hope to surprise everyone with a bottle of Pliny the Elder or at least the new Oak Aged Espresso Yeti.||Double IPAs, West Coast IPAs, Saisons and Sours|
|dlovins||New York, NY||Not sure. Something local|
Add using the following format: (person who you are making the request of): (your request) - (your name)
- Unnamed persons from the Keystone State: Sly Fox, any special Weyerbacher - anarchivist
- anyone: Boulevard smokestack series - danwho
- whosoever brought blueberry stout last year, more of that please - jastirn
- Oregonians/PNW folks: Deschutes Hop Henge (cuz it's seasonal) and Obsidian (cuz I like it) - anarchivist
- younga/Seattlites: Georgetown Donkey Deux; Georgetown Braggott - anarchivist
- if by chance anyone is coming from Salt Lake City: I would love Big Bad Baptist from Epic. Or the Wit if it's available again (I think it's the wrong season though). - HLPitts
Buying Beer in Seattle
from an email to the code4lib list:
- I can think of three good bottleshops (all w/ taps in case you want a growler) that are located on bus lines from downtown:
- * Bottleworks: Probably the shop I frequent the most. Take the 16 to Wallingford.
- * Last Drop: Take the 71,72, or 73 north from downtown and get off at 80th.
- * Beer Authority: probably the quickest trip from downtown on the 522. get off at the 125th St stop in Lake City and walk north a couple of blocks.
- * : Buses 131, 106, 23 --about 30 minute ride.
- * Also, QFC (large grocery store chain) usually has a great selection.
- * Lots of other pub/beer places noted on the map
- This is an unofficial event organized by attendees of Code4lib 2012.
- All guests at the Drinkup must be 21 years of age or over with a valid form of ID.
- Any participation in the Drinkup is at your own risk.
- All guests are expected to drink responsibly and behave appropriately.
Packing and Shipping Beer
If you're flying to Code4lib, you will have to consider how to bring your beer. Some attendees in past years have packed beer in their checked luggage, and others have purchased a beer shipper that was checked separately as luggage. In any event, you will not be able to bring beer in carryon luggage.
The following are links to resources that provide info on packing your beer for transit.