2013 Code4Lib Midwest Conference
- 1 Code4Lib Midwest 2013
- 2 Programming Sign-up
- 3 Schedule
- 3.1 Sunday, October 13
- 3.2 Monday, October 14
- 4 Registration
- 5 Previous C4L Midwest Regional Meetings
- 6 Mailing list
Code4Lib Midwest 2013
Please join us Sunday, October 13, and Monday, October 14, in Iowa City for the Code4Lib Midwest 2013 conference! This informal conference will feature short lightning talks, longer presentations, workshops, and breakout discussion sessions covering technology in libraries, archives and museums in the Midwest. Each Code4Lib conference is different; take a look through the main Code4Lib Wiki to learn more about this volunteer-driven collective.
- Twitter hash tag: #c4lmw
Code4Lib MidWest meeting will be hosted by University of Iowa Libraries.
- When - Sunday, October 13th - Monday, October 14th
- Where - John Pappajohn Business Building, University of Iowa, Room W401
- Registration Cost - Free!
- Planning Committee - Emily Shaw (email@example.com), Shawn Averkamp (firstname.lastname@example.org), Becky Yoose(YOOSEBEC@grinnell.edu), Julia Bauder (BAUDERJ@grinnell.edu), Wendy Robertson (email@example.com), Matthew Butler (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- We have blocked off rooms for 10/13 & 10/14 at the Sheraton Iowa City as the official hotel. The group name is "Code4Lib". These rooms are available at a discounted rate ($99/night, wifi included), and are held on a first come first served basis. Reservations must be booked by September 14, 2013 or the rooms will be released back to the public. It's a pretty nice hotel, and a pleasant, easy walk through downtown Iowa City to the room where we'll be meeting. The Sheraton has an attached parking garage; ask about parking when you call to reserve a room.
- Bus - Greyhound, Megabus (routes to Iowa City from Chicago, Omaha, Des Moines)
- Air - Eastern Iowa Airport(CID, in Cedar Rapids) is the closest airport (22 miles); Cedar Rapids Airport Shuttle can get you to and from the airport (reserve in advance). Quad City International Airport (MLI) is 66 miles away, but flights are often cheaper; unfortunately, a shuttle or taxi to/from there might cost you almost as much as your flight.
- Driving - Iowa City is off of I-80, which every Midwesterner should know how to get to :) There are several public parking structures around campus, in easy walking distance to both the Sheraton (conference hotel) and Pappajohn Business Building (meeting room).
Share what you are working on! We would also love to hear some ideas for a Sunday morning workshop/hackfest. Add your name and a description below.
List your name and what you want to hack, teach, or see someone else teach.
- Shawn Averkamp -- Linked Data Tool Share: Let's share tips and tricks for making/publishing/consuming linked data. How to set up a SPARQL server? How to use parsers and serializers? I don't have that many tricks up my sleeve yet, so add your name and comments here if you'd like to help organize.
- Emily Shaw (UIowa) - CurateCamp, anyone? I've participated in a grand total of 1 before, but it was great and I'd be glad to facilitate if others are interested.
- Ian Mason (UIowa) -- Displaying Live Data: if people are interested, we could hack together some web page charts using public facing data and the Google Charts API.
15-20 minutes suggested, but feel free to propose a longer talk.
- Mark McFate (Grinnell College) - The Status of Islandora and Digital.Grinnell -- Islandora and http://Digital.Grinnell.edu are evolving rapidly. See what's new in Islandora and get a glimpse of how it’s used in Digital.Grinnell.
- Alan Schmitz (Iowa State University - SILO Program) - Iowa Heritage Digital Collections and Omeka -- http://www.iowaheritage.org/
5 minutes suggested. We'll open more slots at the conference.
- Isabel Gonzalez-Smith, UIC
Sunday, October 13
Mingling (9:00am - 9:30am)
Workshops/Hackfest (9:30am - 12:00pm):
Pitch an idea above.
Lunch (12:00pm - 1:30pm)
Lunch on your own.
Talks (1:30pm - 5:00pm)
Social Outing (5:30pm)
Dinner at The Mill
Monday, October 14
Coffee (8:30am - 9:00am)
Get your name badge, drink some coffee, eat a snack, and meet some library folks.
Talks (9:00am - 12:00pm)
Lunch (12:00pm - 1:30pm)
Lunch on your own
More Talks (1:30pm - 4:00pm)
Registration is free. We have tables and chairs for about 50 people, but we have plenty of perimeter seating if you sign up too late. List your name, affiliation, and email address here to register for the meeting. If you signed up and are unable to attend please remove your name or contact us, so that we can make room for others.
Contact Ryan Wick (email@example.com) with your preferred username to set up a Code4Lib wiki account, or ask Shawn Averkamp (firstname.lastname@example.org) to add your name to this list if you prefer not to set up an account.:
- Matthew Butler, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Becky Yoose, Grinnell College, yoosebec at grinnell dot edu (maybe on Sunday, definitely on Monday)
- Julia Bauder, Grinnell College, bauderj at grinnell dot edu
- Samantha Helmick, Burlington Public Library, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kelly Thompson, Iowa State University, email@example.com
- Jason Stirnaman, University of Kansas Medical Center (KC), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarah Park, Northwest Missouri State University, gopark at nwmissouri dot edu
- Scott Hanrath, University of Kansas, email@example.com
- Ian Mason, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linda Ballinger, Newberry Library, ballingerl at newberry dot org
- Shannon Cody, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Jillian Phillips, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kathy Magarrell, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Wendy Robertson, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Audrey Altman, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Micah Bateman, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alan Schmitz, Iowa State University, email@example.com
- Jerry Balmer, Iowa State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul Ertz, Iowa State University, email@example.com
- Marie Harms, Iowa Library Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark McFate, Grinnell College, mcfatem at grinnell dot edu
- Robert Manaster, University of Illinois (UC), manaster at illinois dot edu
- Brett Cloyd, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Sue Julich, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melody Dworak, Iowa City Public Library, email@example.com
- Deana Greenfield, National Louis University Chicago, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colleen Theisen, University of Iowa Special Collections & University Archives, email@example.com
- Ben Rodriguez, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christine Vivian, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Roberto Arteaga, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beth Kamp, Freelance Librarian, email@example.com
- Jon Gorman, University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kirk Hess, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, email@example.com
- Isabel Gonzalez-Smith, University of Illinois at Chicago, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amy Weidner, Benedictine University, email@example.com
- Sara Pitcher, Coralville Public Library, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amy LeFager, National Louis University, email@example.com
- Mark Baldwin, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Olivia Husman, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, email@example.com
- Wesley Teal, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carol Marquardsen, email@example.com
- Kelsey Berryhill, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cate Kompare, email@example.com
- Peg Lawrence, Minnesota State University, Mankato firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graham Hukill, Wayne State University, email@example.com
- Cole Hudson, Wayne State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lynne Weber, Minnesota State University, Mankato, email@example.com
- Amber Carlson, Davenport Public Library, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stephen Wynn, Truman State University, email@example.com
- Rebecca Cooling-Mallard, DePaul University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rebecca Pfenning, Dominican University & Calumet City Public Library, email@example.com
- Larry Palmquist, University of Kansas, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Torii Moré, McLean County Museum of History, TMore@mchistory.org
Previous C4L Midwest Regional Meetings
- 2010 (Inaugural) Code4Lib Midwest Meeting
- 2011 Code4Lib Midwest Meeting
- 2012 Code4Lib Midwest Meeting
For better or for worse, Code4Lib "Midwest" has low-traffic mailing list/Google group. Consider subscribing.