2013 Code4Lib Midwest Conference
Code4Lib Midwest 2013
Please join us Sunday, October 13, and Monday, October 14, in Iowa City for the Code4Lib Midwest 2013 conference! This informal conference will feature short lightning talks, longer presentations, workshops, and breakout discussion sessions covering technology in libraries, archives and museums in the Midwest
- Twitter hash tag: #c4lmw
Code4Lib MidWest meeting will be hosted by University of Iowa Libraries.
- When - Sunday, October 13th - Monday, October 14th
- Where - John Pappajohn Business Building, University of Iowa, Room W401
- Registration Cost - Free!
- Planning Committee - Emily Shaw (firstname.lastname@example.org), Shawn Averkamp (email@example.com), Becky Yoose(YOOSEBEC@grinnell.edu), Julia Bauder (BAUDERJ@grinnell.edu), Wendy Robertson (firstname.lastname@example.org), Matthew Butler (email@example.com)
- We have blocked off rooms for 10/13 & 10/14 at the Sheraton Iowa City as the official hotel. The group name is "Code4Lib". These rooms are available at a discounted rate ($99/night, wifi included), and are held on a first come first served basis. Reservations must be booked by September 14, 2013 or the rooms will be released back to the public. It's a pretty nice hotel, and a pleasant, easy walk through downtown Iowa City to the room where we'll be meeting. The Sheraton has an attached parking garage; ask about parking when you call to reserve a room.
- Bus - Greyhound, Megabus (routes to Iowa City from Chicago, Omaha, Des Moines)
- Air - Eastern Iowa Airport(CID, in Cedar Rapids) is the closest airport (22 miles); Cedar Rapids Airport Shuttle can get you to and from the airport (reserve in advance). Quad City International Airport (MLI) is 66 miles away, but flights are often cheaper; unfortunately, a shuttle or taxi to/from there might cost you almost as much as your flight.
- Driving - Iowa City is off of I-80, which every Midwesterner should know how to get to :) There are several public parking structures around campus, in easy walking distance to both the Sheraton (conference hotel) and Pappajohn Business Building (meeting room).
Share what you are working on! We would also love to hear some ideas for a Sunday morning workshop/hackfest. Add your name and a description below.
List your name and what you want to hack, teach, or see someone else teach.
- Shawn Averkamp -- Linked Data Tool Share: Let's share tips and tricks for making/publishing/consuming linked data. How to set up a SPARQL server? How to use parsers and serializers? I don't have that many tricks up my sleeve yet, so add your name and comments here if you'd like to help organize.
15-20 minutes suggested, but feel free to propose a longer talk.
5 minutes suggested. We'll open more slots at the conference.
Sunday, October 13
Mingling (9:00am - 9:30am)
Workshops/Hackfest (9:30am - 12:00pm):
Pitch an idea above.
Lunch (12:00pm - 1:30pm)
Lunch on your own.
Talks (1:30pm - 5:00pm)
Social Outing (5:30pm)
Dinner at The Mill
Monday, October 14
Coffee (8:30am - 9:00am)
Get your name badge, drink some coffee, eat a snack, and meet some library folks.
Talks (9:00am - 12:00pm)
Lunch (12:00pm - 1:30pm)
Lunch on your own
More Talks (1:30pm - 4:00pm)
Registration is free. We have tables and chairs for 50 people, but you're welcome to sit on the sidelines if you sign up too late. List your name, affiliation, and email address here to register for the meeting. (Contact Ryan Wick (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your preferred username to set up a Code4Lib wiki account, or ask Shawn Averkamp (email@example.com) to add your name to this list if you prefer not to set up an account.):
- Matthew Butler, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shawn Averkamp, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Emily Shaw, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Becky Yoose, Grinnell College, yoosebec at grinnell dot edu (maybe on Sunday, definitely on Monday)
- Julia Bauder, Grinnell College, bauderj at grinnell dot edu
- Samantha Helmick, Burlington Public Library, email@example.com
- Kelly Thompson, Iowa State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jason Stirnaman, University of Kansas Medical Center (KC), email@example.com
Previous C4L Midwest Regional Meetings
For better or for worse, Code4Lib "Midwest" has low-traffic mailing list/Google group. Consider subscribing.