2013 Code4Lib Midwest Conference
- 1 Code4Lib Midwest 2013
- 2 Programming Sign-up
- 3 Schedule
- 3.1 Sunday, October 13
- 3.1.1 Mingling (9:00am - 9:30am)
- 3.1.2 Workshops/Hackfest (9:30am - 12:00pm):
- 3.1.3 Lunch (12:00pm - 1:30pm)
- 3.1.4 Welcome! (1:30pm - 1:45pm)
- 3.1.5 Presentations (1:45pm - 3:00pm)
- 3.1.6 Workshop Reports/Breakout Session Prep (3:00pm - 3:30pm)
- 3.1.7 Break (3:30pm - 3:45pm)
- 3.1.8 Breakout Sessions (3:45pm - 4:45pm)
- 3.1.9 Breakout Reports (4:45pm - 5:00pm)
- 3.1.10 Social Outing (5:30pm)
- 3.2 Monday, October 14
- 3.2.1 Coffee (8:30am - 9:00am)
- 3.2.2 Lightning Talks (9:00am - 10:00pm)
- 3.2.3 Ask Anything (10:00am - 10:30am)
- 3.2.4 Break (10:30am - 10:45am)
- 3.2.5 Presentations (10:45am - noon)
- 3.2.6 Lunch (noon - 1:30pm)
- 3.2.7 Breakout Sessions (1:30pm - 2:30pm)
- 3.2.8 Breakout Reports (2:30pm - 3:00pm)
- 3.2.9 Presentations/Lightning Talks (3:00pm - 3:45pm)
- 3.2.10 Wrap-up (3:45pm - 4:00pm)
- 3.1 Sunday, October 13
- 4 Registration
- 5 Previous C4L Midwest Regional Meetings
- 6 Mailing list
Code4Lib Midwest 2013
Please join us Sunday, October 13, and Monday, October 14, in Iowa City for the Code4Lib Midwest 2013 conference! This informal conference will feature short lightning talks, longer presentations, workshops, and breakout discussion sessions covering technology in libraries, archives and museums in the Midwest. Each Code4Lib conference is different; take a look through the main Code4Lib Wiki to learn more about this volunteer-driven collective.
- Twitter hash tag: #c4lmw
Code4Lib MidWest meeting will be hosted by University of Iowa Libraries.
- When - Sunday, October 13th - Monday, October 14th
- Where - John Pappajohn Business Building, University of Iowa, Room W401
- Registration Cost - Free!
- Planning Committee - Emily Shaw (email@example.com), Shawn Averkamp (firstname.lastname@example.org), Becky Yoose(YOOSEBEC@grinnell.edu), Julia Bauder (BAUDERJ@grinnell.edu), Wendy Robertson (email@example.com), Matthew Butler (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- We have blocked off rooms for 10/13 & 10/14 at the Sheraton Iowa City as the official hotel. The group name is "Code4Lib". You can either call and let them know you're part of this group, or book online through this event registration page. These rooms are available at a discounted rate ($99/night, wifi included), and are held on a first come first served basis. Reservations must be booked by September 14, 2013 or the rooms will be released back to the public. It's a pretty nice hotel, and a pleasant, easy walk through downtown Iowa City to the room where we'll be meeting. The Sheraton has an attached parking garage; ask about parking when you call to reserve a room.
- Bus - Greyhound, Megabus (routes to Iowa City from Chicago, Omaha, Des Moines)
- Air - Eastern Iowa Airport(CID, in Cedar Rapids) is the closest airport (22 miles); Cedar Rapids Airport Shuttle can get you to and from the airport (reserve in advance). Quad City International Airport (MLI) is 66 miles away, but flights are often cheaper; unfortunately, a shuttle or taxi to/from there might cost you almost as much as your flight.
- Driving - Iowa City is off of I-80, which every Midwesterner should know how to get to :) There are several public parking structures around campus, in easy walking distance to both the Sheraton (conference hotel) and Pappajohn Business Building (meeting room).
Share what you are working on! We would also love to hear some ideas for a Sunday morning workshop/hackfest. Add your name and a description below.
List your name and what you want to hack, teach, or see someone else teach.
- Shawn Averkamp -- Linked Data Tool Share: Let's share tips and tricks for making/publishing/consuming linked data. How to set up a SPARQL server? How to use parsers and serializers? I don't have that many tricks up my sleeve yet, so add your name and comments here if you'd like to help organize.
- Emily Shaw (UIowa) - CurateCamp, anyone? I've participated in a grand total of 1 before, but it was great and I'd be glad to facilitate if others are interested.
- Ian Mason (UIowa) -- Displaying data on Google charts or maps with Python?
15-20 minutes suggested, but feel free to propose a longer talk.
- Mark McFate (Grinnell College) - The Status of Islandora and Digital.Grinnell -- Islandora and http://Digital.Grinnell.edu are evolving rapidly. See what's new in Islandora and get a glimpse of how it’s used in Digital.Grinnell.
- Alan Schmitz (Iowa State University - SILO Program) - Iowa Heritage Digital Collections and Omeka -- http://www.iowaheritage.org/
- Jason Paulios (Iowa City Public Library) - ICPL Local Music Project -- http://music.icpl.org/
- Brian Zelip (UIUC, GSLIS) - Support Community Memory! LocalWiki & Library Engagement
- Audrey Altman and Jen Wolfe (University of Iowa) - Curation that Counts: Assessing Digital Libraries with Usage Statistics
- Sarah Park (Northwest Missouri State University - Developing KnowBot, A Knowledge Database to Manage Reference and Beyond
- Melody Dworak (Iowa City Public Library) - Code & Collaboration: The mixed up crazy world of digital libraries in public libraries -- http://history.icpl.org/
5 minutes suggested. We'll open more slots at the conference.
- Logan Jewett -- ETD conversion project (Sunday)
- Cole Hudson (Wayne State University) -- Omeka/Fedora Commons sync app
- Kelly Thompson -- Batch-embedding metadata in PDFs for searchability and provenance
- Sarah Park (Northwest Missouri State University) - Developing KnowBot, A Knowledge Database to Manage Reference and Beyond
- Julia Bauder (Grinnell College) -- How to Add Crowdsourced Transcription Capabilities to Any System in a Day
- Peg Miller (Minnesota State University, Mankato) - Light-weight collection inventory
Sunday, October 13
Mingling (9:00am - 9:30am)
Workshops/Hackfest (9:30am - 12:00pm):
Pitch an idea above.
Lunch (12:00pm - 1:30pm)
Lunch on your own.
Welcome! (1:30pm - 1:45pm)
Presentations (1:45pm - 3:00pm)
Workshop Reports/Breakout Session Prep (3:00pm - 3:30pm)
Break (3:30pm - 3:45pm)
Breakout Sessions (3:45pm - 4:45pm)
Breakout Reports (4:45pm - 5:00pm)
Social Outing (5:30pm)
We have reserved the 3rd floor of Clinton Street Social Club for dinner, drinks and socializing. It's a relatively new spot in town, and has a variety of locally-sourced, made-from-scratch edibles, a nice bar, and a friendly, reclaimed vintage ambiance.
Monday, October 14
Coffee (8:30am - 9:00am)
Get your name badge, drink some coffee, eat a snack, and meet some library folks.
Lightning Talks (9:00am - 10:00pm)
Ask Anything (10:00am - 10:30am)
Break (10:30am - 10:45am)
Presentations (10:45am - noon)
Lunch (noon - 1:30pm)
Lunch on your own
Breakout Sessions (1:30pm - 2:30pm)
Breakout Reports (2:30pm - 3:00pm)
Presentations/Lightning Talks (3:00pm - 3:45pm)
Wrap-up (3:45pm - 4:00pm)
Registration is free. We have tables and chairs for about 50 people, but we have plenty of perimeter seating if you sign up too late. List your name, affiliation, and email address here to register for the meeting. If you signed up and are unable to attend please remove your name or contact us, so that we can make room for others.
Contact Ryan Wick (email@example.com) with your preferred username to set up a Code4Lib wiki account, or ask Shawn Averkamp (firstname.lastname@example.org) to add your name to this list if you prefer not to set up an account.:
- Matthew Butler, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Becky Yoose, Grinnell College, yoosebec at grinnell dot edu (maybe on Sunday, definitely on Monday)
- Julia Bauder, Grinnell College, bauderj at grinnell dot edu
- Samantha Helmick, Burlington Public Library, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kelly Thompson, Iowa State University, email@example.com
- Jason Stirnaman, University of Kansas Medical Center (KC), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sarah Park, Northwest Missouri State University, gopark at nwmissouri dot edu
- Ian Mason, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Shannon Cody, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jillian Phillips, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Kathy Magarrell, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wendy Robertson, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Audrey Altman, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Micah Bateman, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Alan Schmitz, Iowa State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jerry Balmer, Iowa State University, email@example.com
- Paul Ertz, Iowa State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marie Harms, Iowa Library Services, email@example.com
- Mark McFate, Grinnell College, mcfatem at grinnell dot edu
- Robert Manaster, University of Illinois (UC), manaster at illinois dot edu
- Brett Cloyd, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sue Julich, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Melody Dworak, Iowa City Public Library, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deana Greenfield, National Louis University Chicago, email@example.com
- Ben Rodriguez, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christine Vivian, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Roberto Arteaga, University of Iowa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beth Kamp, Freelance Librarian, email@example.com
- Jon Gorman, University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kirk Hess, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, email@example.com
- Amy Weidner, Benedictine University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sara Pitcher, Coralville Public Library, email@example.com
- Amy LeFager, National Louis University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Baldwin, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, email@example.com
- Olivia Husman, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wesley Teal, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Carol Marquardsen, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peg Lawrence, Minnesota State University, Mankato email@example.com
- Graham Hukill, Wayne State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cole Hudson, Wayne State University, email@example.com
- Lynne Weber, Minnesota State University, Mankato, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amber Carlson, Davenport Public Library, email@example.com
- Stephen Wynn, Truman State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rebecca Pfenning, Dominican University & Calumet City Public Library, email@example.com
- Larry Palmquist, University of Kansas, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Benjamin Klahn, Joliet Public Library, email@example.com
- Torii Moré, McLean County Museum of History, TMore@mchistory.org
- Logan Jewett, Iowa State University, firstname.lastname@example.org (Sunday only)
- Susan Green, Bettendorf Public Library, email@example.com
- Brian Zelip, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, @bzelip, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thomas Keyser, Iowa Library Services, email@example.com
- Andrew Holland, University of Iowa Libraries, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mollie Stanford, Arrowhead Library System (Mt. Iron, MN), email@example.com
- Vicky Maloy, Mount Mercy University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steve Redmond, Davenport Public Library, email@example.com
- Madison Sullivan, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drew Parker, University of Iowa, email@example.com
- Matt Marcukaitis, Olivet Nazarene University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aaron Collie, Michigan State University, email@example.com
- Jen Wolfe, University of Iowa
The capacity of our venue requires us to cap participation at 60. Beyond that, please put your name, affiliation and email address on the wait list and we'll email you if a spot opens up for you.
- Bradley Woodruff, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous C4L Midwest Regional Meetings
- 2010 (Inaugural) Code4Lib Midwest Meeting
- 2011 Code4Lib Midwest Meeting
- 2012 Code4Lib Midwest Meeting
For better or for worse, Code4Lib "Midwest" has low-traffic mailing list/Google group. Consider subscribing.