2013 social activities
- 1 Ideas
- 2 Planned Events
- 3 Social Map - Places of Interest
- 4 Local Events
- 5 Local Food
- 6 Local Drinks
- 7 Chicago Events Feb 11-14
- Aviary: super-crazy cocktails. http://www.molecularrecipes.com/molecular-mixology/aviary-cocktails/ . List your name if you're interested, whether Sunday, Monday, and/or Tuesday (after newcomer dinners) work, and whether you're just interested in stopping by, or doing a 7 cocktail tasting flight.*
- statsfool: sunday/monday/tuesday, either drinks or flight.
- Amyhannah: monday/tuesday, drinks, probably not the flight.
- anarchivist: sunday/monday, prefer drinks over flight but could be convinced
- highermath: monday (could use 10 cocktails after Drupal subCon, I am sure). Uber now works in Chicago, so I would do the flight.
- pberry: any night but Wednesday (that's Goose Island night) and I'd be up for drinks or flight, although leaning away from flight.
- thatandromeda oh my gosh yes, any time, probably not the flight.
- Game Night! Type of games might vary due to interest, could range from party games like Werewolf, Wits & Wagers, Telestrations, Taboo, Apples to Apples to perhaps more strategic games like De Vulgari Eloquentia or Eclipse. Jon Gorman is willing to bring some games, are you? Jon will try to send out an email soon to get some interest.
- yo_bj: I have some games I can bring as well (Kill Doctor Lucky, Fluxx, Godzilla: Stomp, Munchkin Zombies, etc.). Monday doesn't have anything major planned...
- danwho: I 'll bring the Cards Against Humanity set.
- escowles (Mon/Tue preferred): I've got lots of games I could bring like Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Age of Renaissance, Elfenland, Agricola, Le Havre, Smallworld, RoboRally, etc. etc.
- jen_young: I'm local and I have quite a few games. Just about every version of Fluxx, Bananagrams, Gloom, Munchkin Cthulu,Cards Against Humanity, Apples to Apples, Risk, Last Night on Earth, etc.)
- decasm: Interested in Go (aka igo, weiqi, baduk) anytime, not just game night. I can do Catan as well. (And as much as I love it, Cards Against Humanity is probably a violation of the new Code of Conduct.)
- csharp: I'm interested in playing games - whatever people bring. I almost always travel with a pack or two of playing cards ;-). Monday or Tuesday nights are fine.
- moneill: I would love to join in! I have a version of Catchphrase floating around somewhere, and I think I have Battleship...I need to go weed around in that drawer and see what else presents itself. Tuesday would be my preferred night, but I will make it work!
- demiankatz: I'm always up for a game. I'm hoping to travel light so probably shouldn't bring anything, but if there's a local game shop, I might be persuaded to pick up something new as a souvenir.
- sekjal: I've got Dominion, 7 Wonders, Bang!, EcoFluxx and Guillotine that I can bring. ++ on Cards against Humanity! Prefer non-conflict with beer night.
- arty: so totally interested. Unfortunately, I have no games to contribute.
- sanderson: I would be interested. I can bring Citadels (2-7 players)
- dvdndrsn: Definitely in! Can bring Innovation, Tichu, Dominion, but Cards Against Humanity sounds good.
- smkiewel: I'm likely to join. Can bring Arkham Horror and Munchkin.
- jkwilson: I'd like to attend Monday or Tuesday. I have a bunch of games but I'd prefer not to travel with them, and anyway it sounds like they're covered above. I'll bring the 5-6 player Catan extension.
- Brewery tour - some possible candidates would be Goose Island, Brew Bus http://www.chicagobrewbus.com/, Piece, Revolution, Half Acre.
- Library field trips - because we're library geeks. Possible places include Newberry and Read/Write.--Read/Write Library confirmed for February 12.
- Art Institute of Chicago - Only open until 5pm, but possible for people coming in early enough on Sunday.
- escowles: I'm getting in around noon on Sunday, and interested in this.
Newcomer Dinner, Tuesday 2/12
First time at code4lib? Join fellow c4l newbies and veterans for an evening of food, socializing, and stimulating
discussions about demonstrations of the many uses of bacon dongles XML.
Code4Lib veterans, you're invited too. Join us in welcoming the newcomers!
- When: Tuesday evening (2/12)
- Time: 6 PM (ish) or whenever you can get your group together
- Mastermind (if you have any questions): Becky Yoose
- Max of 6 per group
- Please, no waitlisting
- ID yourselves so we can get a good mix of new people and veterans in each group
- New folks - n
- c4l vets - v
- One leader needed for each location (declare yourself! - Vets are highly encouraged to lead the group)
- Leader duties
- Make reservations if required; otherwise make sure that the restaurant can handle a group of 6 rowdy library coders
- Herd folks from hotel to restaurant (know where you're going!)
- Leader duties
List coming soon
Let's have dinner at a veg*n-friendly place one night of the conference. Folks of all eating styles welcome.
Details later. Suggestions on where to eat near the conference hotel? Interested in coming or co-organizing? Contact Jason at email@example.com. Max *6* people per party this year.
Party #1 (Place and time TBD) 1. Jason Ronallo
Code4lib/Goose Island Brewing Pull Request
When: Wednesday, 2/13, 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM
More information and sign up at 
Non-beery get together
When: Wednesday, 2/13, TBD (evening)
Contact: @dchud, @ranti, @yo_bj, @wendyrlibrarian
When: Monday, 2/11, TBD
Contact: rosalynmetz at gmail dot com
No this is not a joke. If you haven't heard Rosy is an aspiring trapeze artists and wants to bring the fun to her friends in Code4Lib. There is a trapeze rig in Chicago and she plans on visiting it and hopes that some of you can come along as well. If its your first time taking a trapeze class, they'll start you off learning a knee hang and depending on how that goes you might be able to catch it at the end of class. If you have any questions about whether or not this is for you, TSNY Chicago's website should have the answer, if not feel free to contact Rosy.
Trapeze classes are $57, last 2 hours, and are limited to 10 people. Currently TSNY Chicago hasn't release their class schedule for February -- they should be doing that around Jan. 1. If we can get enough people interested before then, we can buy out a whole class. If not it'll be first come, first serve (along with the general public).
If you're interested in signing up, feel free to add your name and contact info to the list below.
Sign Up List
- Jay Luker (first!)
- Bill McMillin
- Bess Sadler
- Karen Coyle
- Sibyl Schaefer
- Rosalyn Metz (because I'm organizing)
Social Map - Places of Interest
Chicago Events Feb 11-14
Monday February 11
Tuesday, February 12
Field trip to the Read/Write Library (details to follow). 6-9 PM+ Come help catalog the Read/Write Library catalog and hack on the library catalog. We will also invite friends from Code for America to hang out and talk civic data.