CODE4LIB 2013 - CHICAGO LOGISTICS
This page is about the nuts and bolts of getting from the airport to hotel, and from the hotel to the UIC campus. There is plenty more conference and location info on:
- The 2013 Social Activities page http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/2013_social_activities
- The conference schedule: http://lanyrd.com/2013/c4l13/
The conference hotel – The Crowne Plaza - is at the corner of Madison and Halsted. The conference sessions will be held on the UIC campus, which is 9 blocks south of the hotel along Halsted. The #8 Halsted bus runs between the two locations, and there will also be shuttle busses for the conference. The UIC – Halsted stop on the CTA Blue Line train from O’Hare airport also stops at Halsted, five blocks south of the hotel. The #8 bus runs along Halsted street every ten minutes or so, depending on the time of day. Service does stop at 12:30 am on this line. See the CTA schedule for details. http://www.transitchicago.com/riding_cta/busroute.aspx?RouteId=167
- While the Crowne Plaza website touts “aiport transport” as a service, it does not have its own dedicated shuttle; they refer their guests to “Go Airport Express” for shuttle service. Details are below.
- The hotel address is 733 Madison, but the main entrance is on Halsted. You’ll go just north of the intersection of Madison and Halsted, and enter the hotel lot from Halsted.
- If you plan to buy a 3-day or 7-day CTA pass, you should do so at the O’Hare or Midway stations (not all stations sell them, but the airport stations do). 3 day passes are $20 and 7 day passes are $28. For further information see http://www.transitchicago.com/airports/
O’HARE TO CROWNE PLAZA CHICAGO METRO
- CTA – BLUE LINE EL - It takes approximately an hour to take the blue line train from O’Hare to the UIC-Halsted stop, then either walk five blocks north on Halsted, or catch the north-bound #8 Halsted bus from the train stop to the hotel. The Blue Line runs 24 hours a day, but the bus stops at 12:30 AM. From O’Hare, you’ll catch the train bound for "Forest Park". http://www.transitchicago.com/blueline/
- Taxi fare finder estimates about $35.00-$40.00 to catch a taxi cab from O’Hare to the hotel http://www.taxifarefinder.com
- Shared ride shuttle service: Go Airport Express is $30.00 from O’Hare to the Crowne Plaza. https://www.airportexpress.com. Please note that “Supershuttle” does not provide service to the Crowne Plaza.
MIDWAY TO CROWNE PLAZA CHICAGO METRO
- CTA ORANGE LINE TO BLUE LINE EL – It takes about 1 hour to catch the orange line train to the Crowne Plaza hotel; you will need to transfer to another train or bus. A recommended route is to catch the Orange line train toward the Loop, get off at the Madison/Wabash station and take the westbound #20 Madison bus to the hotel. You can also easily hail a cab from Madison/Wabash, so you’ve got a good ‘plan B’ if you don’t want to wait for a bus.
- Taxi fare finder estimates about $25.00-$30.00 to catch a taxi cab from Midway to the hotel http://www.taxifarefinder.com
- Shared ride shuttle service: Go Airport Express is $25.00 from Midway to the Crowne Plaza. https://www.airportexpress.com. Please note that “Supershuttle” does not provide service to the Crowne Plaza.
Conference hotel: The Crowne Plaza 733 W. Madison http://www.thechicagometro.com/ The hotel is in Chicago’s Greektown neighborhood, due west of the loop – as has been noted in the list discussion, there are indeed Greek restaurants throughout the neighborhood. There is a large Dominick’s grocery store on one side of the hotel and a 24 hour Walgreen’s across the street from the hotel. There are Starbucks locations both in the Dominick’s and one block southwest of the hotel on Halsted St.
Preconference Sessions: Monday Feb 11th UIC Daley Library & UIC Forum
- Most preconference sessions are at the UIC Daley Library at 801 S. Morgan, with the exception of the Drupal session, which is at the UIC Forum.
- Specific room numbers for each session can be found on the specific preconference session pages at: http://lanyrd.com/2013/c4l13/ Look on the right side bar for the room number from any session details screen. Room numbers are preceded by floor numbers, so “1-470” is Floor 1, room 470.
- The library is located just about mid-way between Harrison and Taylor streets. The most direct route to the library is across campus grounds, but that can be confusing if you haven’t been to the campus before. The simplest route is to take the #8 Halsted bus from the hotel and get off at Taylor St. go west on Taylor to Morgan, then turn right (north). The Library has a large west entrance on Morgan Street.
Main conference sessions: Tuesday Feb 12 – Thursday Feb 14. All regular conference sessions will take place at the UIC Forum http://www.uic.edu/depts/uicforum/ 725 W. Roosevelt Road at Roosevelt and Halsted. You can take the #8 Halsted bus, walk.
- CTA transit tracking apps - find out if a bus or train is forthcoming: http://www.transitchicago.com/apps/
- The Uber ride ordering service does operating in Chicago, including taxi hailing from the Uber app. https://www.uber.com This is probably only useful to people who already use Uber in other cities, since you have to set up an account with them.