2015 Social Activities
The Social Activities Group is working on several events and social opportunities for after conference hours. We will be adding more events as they come along. Watch this page!
Also, if you find a cool event to go to, and want to share the wealth with others, feel free to add the event to the page. :)
- 1 Planned Events
- 1.1 Newcomer Dinner, Monday, February 9th
- 1.2 LibTechWomen Meetup, Tuesday February 10th
- 1.3 Craft Brew Drinkup, Tuesday February 10th
- 1.4 Run4Lib, Monday-Wednesday, Feb 9-11th
- 1.5 OCLC Developer House Meetup, Wednesday February 11th
- 1.6 Game Night, Wednesday February 11
- 1.7 Karaoke, Wednesday February 11
- 2 Social Map - Places of Interest
- 3 Ideas
- 4 Local Food
- 5 Local Drinks
- 6 Portland Events
- 7 Getting Around
Newcomer Dinner, Monday, February 9th
First time at code4lib? Join fellow c4l newbies and veterans for an evening of food, socializing, and stimulating
discussions about demonstrations of the many uses of bacon XML EZProxy LibGuides alternatives.
Code4Lib veterans, you're invited too. Join us in welcoming the newcomers!
- When: Monday, February 9th
- Time: 6 PM (ish) or whenever you can get your group together
- Mastermind (if you have any questions): Becky Yoose
- Max of 6 per group
- Please, no waitlisting
- Some restaurants can hold multiple groups of six. It is up to you to investigate the venue to see if this is possible.
- ID yourselves so we can get a good mix of new people and veterans in each group
- New folks - n
- c4l vets - v
- One leader needed for each location (declare yourself! - Vets are highly encouraged to lead the group)
- Leader duties
- Make reservations if required; otherwise make sure that the restaurant can handle a group of 6 rowdy library tech type folks
- Herd folks from hotel to restaurant (know where you're going!)
- Leader duties
- See a restaurant that's not listed? Feel free to add one, but please make sure that it is open that Monday evening.
LibTechWomen Meetup, Tuesday February 10th
When: Tuesday, February 10th - 5:30pm - 7pm
Where: The Veggie Grill -- 508 SW Taylor St. (One block from the hotel.) Menu is here.
An informal meetup for women and their friends in library technology. No need to RSVP. I'll try to make sure there's an announcement ahead of time, and will be in the hotel lobby at 5:15 to point people in the right direction.
Questions? Sarah Simpkin
Craft Brew Drinkup, Tuesday February 10th
When: Tuesday, February 10th - 7pm - 10pm (ish)
Where: eBay Offices - 1400 SW 5th Ave, Portland, OR 97201
The Craft Brew Drinkup at Code4lib 2015 is all about sharing and enjoying good beer with fellow conference attendees. The idea is to bring bottles of your favorite beers or non-alcoholic drinks.
While you're not obligated to bring local brews from wherever you're from, participants are definitely encouraged to bring brews that you think is special and might be somewhat hard for others outside your area to find. Homebrew is especially welcome as are non-alcoholic beverages. Hot water will be provided for those who want to bring tea blends.
This year, eBay has agreed to host the Code4Lib Drinkup at their offices in downtown Portland, a 6 block walk from the conference hotel. Attendees should expect to bring something to share, either drinks or snacks. Cups will be provided by the host.
Please Note: The space must be cleaned up and all folks gone no later than 11pm.
Please sign up on the Craft Drinkup wiki page to share the brews and bottles you're thinking of bringing along and special requests can be made, but don't expect that your wishes will be granted.
Door volunteers 7-7:30 | 7:30-8 Chela | 8-:8:30 Tara | 8:30-9 Ranti | 9-9:30 Beatrice | 9:30-10
Run4Lib, Monday-Wednesday, Feb 9-11th
When: Monday-Wednesday (February 9th, 10th & 11th) leaving at 6:30AM
Where: Meet in Conf Hotel Lobby, see routes below.
Running Distance: 5k-ish
Run4Lib is about providing an easy opportunity to get your run on with other runners. We decided to alternate between two routes, both similar in distance.
Mon/Wed route:MapMyRun Run4Lib Mon/Wed Route
Tues route:MapMyRun Run4Lib Tues Route
Questions? : Whitni Watkins
OCLC Developer House Meetup, Wednesday February 11th
When: Wednesday, Febraury 11th 5:30pm – 7:00pm
Where: Meet in the hotel lobby at 5:30 and figure out where we want to go (or stay?) for a drink, depending on the will of the group and the whim of the weather.
An informal meetup for alumni and anyone interested in OCLC’s Developer House event. No need to RSVP.
Drop me a note if you have any questions: Shelley Hostetler
Game Night, Wednesday February 11
Games sign up on the Game Night page
Where: Parlor A (same level as Ballroom) at the Hilton.
When: February 11, 6pm
Karaoke, Wednesday February 11
Interested in singing your face off, and/or enjoying others doing the same?
When: February 11, 8-11pm
Where: Voicebox PDX, 2112 NW Hoyt, Portland, OR 97210 / 503.303.8220
Cost: About $15 (depending on number of people and how long we stay) plus whatever food & drink you order
Details: Update We've upgraded to the $80/hr room that can hold up to 30 people.
Song List: Create an account at VBSongs if you want to plan/save your playlist in advance! You can also use it to queue songs to sing direct from your mobile device.
Advice from a PDX local Voicebox regular: With a group this size, we might consider setting some ground rules to make sure everyone gets to sing, for example, don't queue more than one song in a row, don't have more than two songs in the queue, etc...
- Michael Klein (@mbklein)
- Mark Matienzo (@anarchivist)
- Whitni Watkins (@nimblelibrarian)
- Julie Hardesty (@jlhardes)
- Cliff Ingham (c/o @jlhardes)
- Erin White (@erinrwhite)
- Catelynne Sahadath (@metacatie)
- Rebecca Fraimow (@rhfraim)
- Peggy Griesinger (@peggygriesinger)
- Casey E. Davis (@caseyedavis1)
- Linda Newman (@NewmanLindaUC on Twitter, newmanld-AT-ucmail.uc.edu if we fall back to email)
- Chad Nelson (@bibliotechy)
- Jennifer Lindner (@jenlindner)
- Marijane White (@marijane)
- Thom Goodnow (@goodnowlibtech)
- Bryan Brown (@bryjbrown)
- Jessie Keck (@jessiekeck)
- Vanessa Ragains (c/o @jessiekeck)
Social Map - Places of Interest
Want to see a specific event? Add your own ideas here...
- Portland Food Carts - Several in Pioneer Courthouse Square (2 blocks away from conference) and a huge pod off SW 10th & Alder. "Pods" are locations with multiple food carts and a good choice for a large group with different dietary needs, preferences, and budgets. Most meals are under $10. Pod Map. It's rare to find a place to sit, so once you've got your meal check your map for the nearest green square in downtown.
- Blue Star Donuts - Awesome donuts.
- Euphoria Chocolate - Sold by many gift shops, including the Made In Oregon at PDX Airport. Local chocolate, good stuff.
- Moonstruck Chocolate Company - Local chocolate. Locations off SW 6th & Alder; NW 23rd between Hoyt and Glisan. NW 23rd also has a number of shops, bars, restaurants, and is good for people watching. Accessible by the Portland Streetcar.
- Purringtons Cat Lounge - Cat cafe. Reservations required (hour slots, $8/person)
- Base Camp Brewing Co.
- Bridgeport Brewing
- Burnside Brewing Co.
- Cascade Brewing Barrel House
- Deschutes Brewery and Pub
- Hair of the Dog Brewing Co.
- Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery
- Rogue Distillery and Pub
- Tugboat Brewing Company
- Widmer Brothers Brewing
Bottle Shops and Taprooms
- Bailey's Taproom (Downtown)
- John's (SW)
- Belmont Station (SE)
- Bazi Bierbrasserie (SE)
- Beer Mongers (SE)
- APEX Bar (SE)
- Saraveza (N)
Saturday and Sunday, February 7 and 8
Monday, February 9
- Carmina Burana, 8:00 pm, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
- Nick Hornby in Conversation with Cheryl Strayed, 7:00 pm, Powell's Books at Cedar Hills Crossing
Tuesday, February 10
- Carmen, 7:30 pm, Keller Auditorium
Wednesday, February 11
- Nederlands Dans Theater at Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, 7:30 pm; Already purchased a block of tickets for those who indicated interest early on. Anyone else buying a ticket late in the game and interested in joining us before the show for a bite to eat contact Andy Mardesich <Andy.Mardesich at ucop.edu>.
Thursday, February 12
- Carmen, 7:30 pm, Keller Auditorium
- Catfish and The Bottlemen, 9:00 pm, Mississippi Studios
- Mozart, Revisited, 7:30 pm, Zoomtopia