2016 Social Activities
The Social Activities Group is working on several events and social opportunities for after conference hours. We will be adding more events as they come along. Watch this page!
Also, if you find a cool event to go to, and want to share the wealth with others, feel free to add the event to the page. :)
- 1 Planned Events
- 2 Social Map - Places of Interest
- 3 Ideas
- 4 Local Food
- 5 Local Drinks
- 6 Philadelphia Events
- 7 Getting Around
Newcomer Dinner, Monday, March 7th
First time at code4lib? Join fellow c4l newbies and veterans for an evening of food, socializing, and stimulating
discussions about demonstrations of the many uses of bacon XML EZProxy LibGuides alternatives spreadsheets.
Code4Lib veterans, you're invited too. Join us in welcoming the newcomers!
- When: Monday, March 7th
- Time: 6 PM (ish) or whenever you can get your group together
- Mastermind (if you have any questions): Becky Yoose
- Max of 6 per group
- Please, no waitlisting
- Some restaurants can hold multiple groups of six. It is up to you to investigate the venue to see if this is possible.
- ID yourselves so we can get a good mix of new people and veterans in each group
- New folks - n
- c4l vets - v
- One leader needed for each location (declare yourself! - Vets are highly encouraged to lead the group)
- Leader duties
- Make reservations if required; otherwise make sure that the restaurant can handle a group of 6 rowdy library tech type folks
- Herd folks from hotel to restaurant (know where you're going!)
- Leader duties
- See a restaurant that's not listed? Feel free to add one, but please make sure that it is open that Monday evening.
Reception at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia / Mütter Museum , Tuesday, March 8th
All attendees are invited to join us for a "disturbingly informative" opening reception at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, home of America’s finest museum of medical history. The Mütter Museum displays its beautifully preserved collections of anatomical specimens, models, and medical instruments in a 19th-century “cabinet museum” setting.
The reception includes an open bar and free access to the museum exhibits from 5:45PM through 7:45PM. We will also provide a selection of vegan, vegetarian, and omnivore friendly appetizers featuring: Pennsylvania flatbreads, a locally-sourced variety of sausages, and a Mediterranean spread that includes three different varieties of hummus and other plates.
LibTechWomen Meetup, Wednesday, March 9th
An informal meetup for women and their friends in library technology organized by #libtechwomen. No need to RSVP. We'll make sure there's an announcement ahead of time, and some of us will be in the hotel lobby at 5:15 to point people in the right direction.
When: Wednesday, March 9th - 5:30pm - 7pm
Come have a drink (soda is a fine choice!) Eat a snack or a big meal. Stay as long as you want. We just want a good time for the community to connect and chat.
NOTE: There is a small chance we might overcrowd National Mechanics. If we do, there many options within one block. We'll make sure to coordinate such "satellites" if need be.
Questions? Contact Kate
A large space in the conference hotel will be available for conference attendees to gather and socialize, play games and share goodies. We will be providing tables and chairs for Board Game Night (list of games being brought), and some attendees are planning to organize an acoustic jam session. You are also welcome to bring stuff to share, from craft sodas and beers to baked goods to local treats (#cannoli4lib).
Beer/drink activities will be in Hamilton. Boardgames are in Bromely/Claypoole (if you want quiet) or in Hamilton with the music/drinks.
If you would like to play, sing, or just request a song (Board Game Night folks might want to do this!) put title and lyrics here (if you can get chords, awesome, but optional): Song Requests Go Here
Social Map - Places of Interest
- A trip to Barcade for vintage arcade games, craft beer, and tacos. Only a ten minute train ride from the conference hotel.
- #jog4lib - currently being planned on the code4lib Slack channel.
|Name||Variety of Food||Address||Distance from Hotel (miles)||Cost||Take Reservations||Veg*n Friendly|
|Khyber Pass Pub||Gastropub/Cajun||56 SW. 2nd Street||0.1||$$||no||yes|
|City Tavern||18th Century American (historical + founding father's beer recipes)||138 S. 2nd Street||0.1||$$$||yes||meh|
|Zahav||Israeli||237 St. James Place||0.2||$$$||yes||yes|
|Han Dynasty||Chinese||123 Chestnut Street||0.2||$$||meh||vegetarian|
|2nd Story Brewing Co||Brewpub||117 Chestnut Street||0.2||$$||yes||vegetarian|
|Franklin Fountain||Ice Cream||116 Market Street||0.2||$$||no- cash only||yes|
|Amada||Tapas (Jose Garces)||217 Chestnut Street||0.2||$$$||yes||yes|
|Eulogy Belgian Tavern||Belgian||136 Chestnut Street||0.2||$$||yes||vegetarian|
|Karma Indian Restaurant||Indian||114 Chestnut St||0.2||$$||yes||vegetarian|
|The Plough & the Stars||Irish Pub||123 Chestnut Street||0.2||$$||yes||meh|
|FARMiCiA||Farm to Table||15 S. 3rd Street||0.3||$$-$$$||yes||yes|
|Bierstube||German Beer Hall||206 Market Street||0.3||$||yes||vegetarian|
|Fork||New American||306 Market Street||0.3||$$$||yes||yes|
|High Street on Market||New American||308 Market Street||0.3||$$||yes||yes|
|Capofitto Pizza and Gelato||Neapolitan pizza||233 Chestnut Street||0.3||$$||yes|
|Buddakan||Asian Fusion||325 Chestnut Street||0.3||$$$||yes||yes|
|Mac's Tavern||Gastropub/New American||226 Market Street||0.3||$$||no||vegetarian|
|The Gaslight||New American||120 Market Street||0.3||$$||yes||vegetarian|
|National Mechanics||Traditional American||22 S. 3rd Street||0.4||$$||yes||vegetarian|
|Pizzeria Stella||Pizza/Italian||215 Lombard Street||0.5||$$||no||vegetarian|
|Talula's Garden||New American||210 W. Washington Sq.||0.5||$$$||yes||vegetarian|
|Cooperage||Gastropub/New American||123 S. 7th Street||0.5||$$||yes||vegetarian|
|Tamarind||Thai||117 South St.||0.5||$$||yes||vegetarian|
|Hikaru||Japanese||607 S 2nd St||0.5||$$||yes||vegetarian|
|Bridget Foy's||Traditional American||200 South Street||0.6||$$||yes||yes|
|Famous 4th Street Delicatessen||Sandwiches/Breakfast||700 S. 4th Street||0.6||$$||no||vegetarian|
|Morimoto||Japanese (YES Morimoto works the sushi bar some nights)||723 Chestnut Street||0.6||$$$$||yes||meh|
|Wedge + Fig||New American/Cheese Bistro||160 N. 3rd Street||0.6||$$$|
|Jones||American comfort food (Stephen Starr)||700 Chestnut St.||0.6||$$||yes||yes|
|Blackbird||Pizza/Vegan||507 S. 6th Street||0.7||$||no||yes|
|Serpico||New American||604 South Street||0.7||$$$||yes|
|Tattooed Mom||Pub Grub||530 South Street||0.7||$||no||yes|
|Bistrot La Minette||French||623 S. 6th Street||0.8||$$$||yes||vegetarian|
|Brauhaus Schmitz||German||718 South Street||0.9||$$||yes||vegetarian|
|Catahoula||Cajun/Creole||775 S. Front Street||0.9||$$||no||no|
|Little Fish||Seafood||746 S. 6th Street||0.9||$$$||yes||no|
|Strangelove's||New American / Craft Beer||216 S. 11th Street||0.8||$$||yes||veg*n friendly|
|Reading Terminal Market||Market/Grocery||12th and Arch Street||0.9||$$|
|Strangelove's||Gastropub||216 S. 11th St||0.9 - 1||$$||yes||yes (veg*ns & carnivores welcome)|
|Tria Cafe||Wine & Cheese||1137 Spruce St.||1.0||$$-$$$||no||yes|
|The Foodery||Bottleshop/Sandwiches||10th and Pine Streets||1||$-$$$|
|Capogiro Gelato||Gelato||119 S. 13th Street||1||$$||yes|
|Percy Street Barbecue||Barbecue||900 South Street||1||$$||yes||no|
|Vegan Tree||Vegan||742 South St.||1||$||no||yes|
|Blind Pig||Pub food||702 N 2nd Street||1.1||$$||no||meh|
|Charlie was a sinner||Vegan bar||131 S. 13th St.||1.1||$$||yes||yes|
|Silk City Diner||New American||435 Spring Garden St||1.2||$$||no||meh|
|Su Xing House||Chinese||1509 Sansom Street||1.3||$||vegetarian|
|The Standard Tap||Pub Grub||901 North 2nd Street||1.3||$$||no||yes|
|The Foodery||Bottleshop/Sandwiches||2nd and Poplar Streets||1.3||$-$$$|
|Coeur||Gastropub||8th St. at Christian St.||1.3||$$-$$$||yes||yes|
|Kennett||Gastropub/New American||848 S. 2nd Street||1.4||$$||yes||yes|
|Honey's Sit 'n Eat||Diner/Homestyle||800 N. 4th St.||1.4||$||no - CASH ONLY||yes|
|Jasmine Rice||Thai||306 S. 16th St.||1.5||$$||yes||yes|
|Tria Cafe||Wine & Cheese||123 S. 18th St.||1.5||$$-$$$||no||yes|
|Monk's Cafe||Belgian||264 S 16th St||1.8||$$||no||yes|
|Village Whiskey||Whiskey pub (Jose Garces)||118 S 20th St||2||$$||no||vegetarian|
|Mama's Vegetarian||Kosher||18 S 20TH STREET||2.1||$||no- cash only||yes|
|The Belgian Cafe||Belgian/Pub (Great beer list)||601 North 21st Street||3.3||$$||no||yes|
|Jose Garces Restaurants||various||various||$$-$$$$||yes||yes|
|Stephen Starr Restaurants||various||various||various||$$-$$$$||yes||yes|
- Franklin Fountain - Old City
- Shane Confectionery - Old City
- Capogiro Gelato - Center City; South Philly; West Philly
- Bassett's Ice Cream - in Reading Terminal Market
- Flying Monkey - in Reading Terminal Market
- Max Brenner Chocolate Bar - Rittenhouse
- Isgro Pasticceria - South Philly -- CANNOLI
- Magpie Artisan Pie Bakery & Boutique - South Philly
- John's Water Ice - South Philly -- pronounced "wooder ice"
- Termini Brothers - Italian Market -- CANNOLI
- Varallo Bros. Bakery - Italian Market -- CANNOLI
- Brown Betty Dessert Boutique - NoLibs (Northern Liberties)
- Lil' Pop Shop -- West Philly
- Little Baby's Ice Cream -- East Kensington and West Philly
- Rita's Water Ice - various -- pronounced "wooder ice"
- Bodhi Coffee
- Green Line Cafe
- Greenstreet Coffee Co.
- Old City Coffee
- Menagerie Coffee
- HubBub Coffee
- Rival Bros.
- Cake and the Beanstalk
- Shot Tower Coffee
- Yards -- NoLibs (Northern Liberties)
- Philadelphia Brewing -- Fishtown
- Manayunk Brewery -- Manayunk (of course)
- 2nd Story -- Center City East (Old City/Society Hill)
- Saint Benjamin -- North Philly
- Dock Street -- West Philly; also has great pizza! Take the 34 Trolley ("Green Line") out to Baltimore and 50th St.
- Crime & Punishment -- Brewerytown
- Earth Bread + Brewery -- Mt. Airy
- Iron Hill Brewery -- Chestnut Hill/Germantown
- Victory -- Downingtown
- Honorable mention: Tired Hands -- Ardmore; a little bit of a hike but well worth it!
- Regional: Sly Fox
- Regional BUT America's Oldest Brewery! Yuengling
- Nodding Head Brewing -- status unknown
Bottle Shops and Taprooms
- The Foodery || 10th and Pine Streets || 1 mile
- Beer Heaven || 1100 S. Columbus Blvd. || 1.1 miles
- The Foodery Rittenhouse || 1710 Sansom St. || 1.4 miles
- Hawthorne || 738 S. 11th St. || 1.3 miles
- Bottle Shop || 1616 East Passyunk || 1.8 miles
- Monde Market || 100 S. 21st St. || 1.8 miles
- Bottle Bar East || 1308 Frankford Ave. || 2 miles
- Brew, a beer boutique || 1900 S. 15th St. || 2.3 miles -- shares space with Ultimo Coffee
- Local 44 Bottle Shop || 44th and Spruce Sts., West Philly || 3.6 miles -- SEPTA 42 bus stops right in front!
Saturday and Sunday, March 5 & 6
Blanck Mass at Johnny Brendas - Electronic /Drone show at a great Philadelphia venue
Monday, March 7
Tuesday, March 8
Party Like a Rock Star at the Science Museum Started by Ben Franklin - 7:00pm to 10:00pm
Tune those axes and crank up the volume as Science After Hours travels into a world of lost inhibitions—we’ll take you from Woodstock to Punk Rock celebrating all things rock and roll! Learn how instruments are designed to produce different sounds and the science of how those sounds reach your brain. Rock out to the science of pyrotechnics, ... an evening better than a trip to Bonnaroo (or, at least, more scientific). $15 (Purchase Tickets in advance)
SUPER! Karaoke starting @9pm w/ @singyourlifekaraoke @ 12 Steps Down - 9pm+
A bar + mic + liberal amounts of bathroom graffiti = Tuesdays at 12 Steps Down. Gritty and by all accounts glorious though be warned: A smoking venue.
Wednesday, March 9
French Horn Rebellion, Mystery Skulls - No French Horns were harmed in the making of these beats
"Design for Real Life" Book Release Party - 6:00PM - 8:00PM, Frankford Hall, 1210 Frankford Ave., Philadelphia
Sara [Wachter-Boettcher] and [Eric Meyer] will be hosting, with incredibly generous support from A Book Apart and PhillyCHI, a launch party at Frankford Hall in Philadelphia. We’ll be providing some munchies, some tasty adult beverages, and there will be giveaways of both paper and digital copies of the book. We’d love to see you there! If you can make it, please do RSVP at that link, so we know how much food to order.
Thursday, March 10
Sisters of the Stars: Women of Astronomy and Space Science 6:00pm to 9:00pm
Though not always in the limelight, throughout history women have shined as groundbreaking scientists and intrepid team members pursuing amazing discoveries and the daring exploration of space. Join us as we highlight the women behind some of the most extraordinary adventures in the universe. $5
Philly Dev Night - 7pm every Thursday, Philly Dev Night opens the Philly Game Forge (right down the street, 239 Chestnut St.) to anyone who wants to make, play, write, draw, or smell games. "It doesn't matter if you're an aspiring game developer, artist, writer, or even just a gamer; Dev Night will have something to offer. We talk games, play games, make games, compete, collaborate, and share. Dev Night is a creative time for creative people in a creative space."
The 2016 Philadelphia Flower Show, March 5 - 13, Pennsylvania Convention Center
Picasso: The Great War, Experimentation and Change, Barnes Foundation - this museum uses timed tickets; strongly advised to book in advance
The Golden Age of King Midas, Penn Museum
International Pop, Philadelphia Museum of Art
Headed to the White House, National Constitution Center
Drapetomania, African American Museum
All info on getting to the hotel is on the conference website: http://2016.code4lib.org/venue.html