Difference between revisions of "BC"

From Code4Lib
Jump to: navigation, search
(Google doc link for breakout session)
(Sponsors)
 
(401 intermediate revisions by 20 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Welcome to code4lib BC!  
+
Welcome to Code4Lib BC! Begun in Summer 2013, this chapter aims to create connections and professional development opportunities for folks from British Columbia and surrounding areas.
  
Begun in Summer 2013, this chapter aims to create connections and professional development opportunities for folks from British Columbia and surrounding areas.
+
== '''Seventh Annual Code4Lib BC Unconference 2019''' ==
  
== '''First Annual Code4lib BC Event''' ==
+
* '''Thursday, 28 November and Friday, 29 November'''
  
'''When''': November 28 and 29, 2013
+
* [https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2019-code4lib-bc-unconference-tickets-69790315713 Registration is now open!]
  
'''Where''': SFU Harbour Centre, Vancouver, BC [http://goo.gl/maps/iyC0j map]
+
* Update: We are now sold out!
  
'''Cost''': $20
+
This year's Code4Lib BC will be held on the North Shore of Metro Vancouver, and jointly hosted by West Vancouver Memorial Library and Capilano University. The Thursday events will be held at the West Vancouver Memorial Library. Friday's activities will be held at Capilano University's main campus.
  
'''Accommodations''': Info coming soon.
+
=== What's it all about? ===
  
'''Register here''': https://code4libbc2013.eventbrite.ca/ 2013-11-21: We are full at 80 people but the waitlist is open.
+
It's a 2-day unconference - a participant-driven meeting bringing together a diverse and open community of library developers and non-developers engaging in effective, collaborative problem-solving through technology regardless of their department or background.
  
'''What''': It’s a 2 day unconference! A participant-driven meeting featuring lightning talks in the mornings, hackfest in the afternoons, with coffee, tea and snacks provided. Lightning talks are brief presentations which are typically 5-10 minutes in length (15 minutes is the maximum) on topics related to library technologies: current projects, tips and tricks, or hacks in the works. Hackfest is an opportunity to bring participants together in an ad hoc fashion for a short, yet sustained period of problem solving, software development and fun. In advance of the event, we will gather project ideas in a form available through our wiki and registration pages. Each afternoon the code4libBC participants will review and discuss the proposals, break into groups, and work on some of the projects.
+
The event will feature lightning talks, breakout sessions, with coffee, tea and snacks provided. Lightning talks are brief presentations which are typically 10 minutes in length on topics related to library technologies. Breakout sessions are an opportunity to bring participants together in an ad hoc fashion for a short, yet sustained period of problem solving, software development and fun. If there is a neat project you're been working on, a cool new tool you want to show off, or an interesting development in the world of library technology that you want to discuss, Code4Lib BC is a great opportunity to share with the community!
  
'''Who''': A diverse and open community of library developers and non-developers engaging in effective, collaborative problem-solving through technology.Anyone from the library community who is interested in library technologies are welcome to join and participate, regardless of their department or background: systems and IT, public services, circulation, cataloguing and technical services, archives, digitization and preservation. All are welcome to help set the agenda, define the outcomes and develop the deliverables!
+
* '''What's included''': wifi, power, coffee/snacks, lunches, prizes.
  
'''Why''': Why not? code4libBC is a group of dynamic library technology practitioners throughout the province who want to build new relationships as much as develop new software solutions to problems.
+
* '''What's NOT included/what to bring''': a laptop, dinner, your ideas and enthusiasm.
  
'''Tag d'hash''': #c4lbc
+
* '''Hashtag''': [https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23c4lbc&src=typd #c4lbc]
  
If you’re ready to get your hands dirty with library technology practitioners, join us!
+
* '''Code of Conduct''': As a Code4Lib event, we adhere to the [http://bit.ly/coc4lib Code4Lib Code of Conduct], which seeks to provide a welcoming, harassment-free environment.
  
As a Code4Lib event, we adhere to the Code4Lib Code of Conduct, which seeks to provide a welcoming, harassment-free environment. Please see the [http://bit.ly/coc4lib Code of Conduct] for further details.
+
===Lightning Talk and Breakout Session Ideas===
  
Our first annual code4libBC event could not have been made possible without the generous financial support of:
+
Is there a neat project you've been working on, a cool new tool you want to show off, or an interesting development in the world of library technology that you want to discuss?
  
* BCCATS (British Columbia Cataloguing and Technical Services Interest Group)
+
* [https://forms.gle/3jrtXhcaSEhKhMxT8 Submit your lightning talk/breakout session idea]
* BC Electronic Library Network
+
* BC Libraries Cooperative
+
* Kwantlen Polytechnic University
+
* Simon Fraser University
+
* University of Victoria
+
  
And special thanks to the BC Libraries Cooperative for assisting the organizing group with administrative duties.
+
* [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16sFCWjhFYeiaGqU5BrFMEdEQVN7sORthMmnuQsWfVO8/edit?usp=sharing See what's already been submitted]
  
Also thanks to all our organizers
+
===Food/Transportation===
* Paul Joseph (Chair)
+
* Calvin Mah
+
* Caroline Daniels
+
* Cynthia Ng
+
* Gordon Coleman
+
* Jeff Davis
+
* John Durno
+
* Mark Jordan
+
* May Chan
+
* Shirley Lew
+
  
Feel free to email Paul Joseph at paul.joseph@ubc.ca with questions or comments.
+
Do you have dietary restrictions? Let us know when you register.
  
'''Lightning Talk Proposals and Hackfest/Breakout Suggestions''': Submit them [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NVEGsJZvqNLyqxATdYvNonGuPmlDAFOJn-R2vGpIvWg/viewform here].  
+
* [https://westvanlibrary.ca/visit/library/location-hours Bus and parking information for West Vancouver Memorial Library] or [https://g.page/WestVanLibrary?share Google Maps]
 +
 
 +
* [https://www.capilanou.ca/about-capu/get-to-know-us/our-campuses/capu-main-campus/ Directions to Capilano University], [https://www.capilanou.ca/about-capu/get-to-know-us/our-campuses/parking-services/ Parking Services website] or [https://g.page/CapULibrary?share Google Maps]
 +
 
 +
===Accommodations===
 +
 
 +
* [https://www.pinnaclepierhotel.com Pinnacle Hotel]: Rates start at $229.00/night.
 +
 
 +
* [http://www.lonsdalequayhotel.com Lonsdale Hotel]: Rates start at $159.50/night (non-refundable) or $206.25/night (refundable).
  
 
=== Schedule ===
 
=== Schedule ===
  
==== Thursday ====
+
==== Day 1 ====
{|
+
 
| 9:00 || Welcome & Announcements
+
{| class="wikitable"
 +
| 8:30 || Doors open
 
|-
 
|-
| || Lightning Talks
+
| 9:00 || Welcome and announcements
* Paul Joseph - Opening Talk
+
* Linda Woodcock - RDA: 10 Things
+
* Mark Jordan - [https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1015702/linked_to/Making%20TGM%20Terms%20Linkable.pdf Linked Data in SFU's Editorial Cartoons Collection]
+
* Marcus Emmanuel Barnes - [http://www.slideshare.net/MarcusBarnes/code4-lib-bc-2013-lightening-talk SFU Library's METS-Bagger Tool]
+
* Misty De Meo - Archivematica Format Policy Registry (FPR)
+
* Cynthia Ng - [http://t.co/vIHCuuGExZ Shifting Perspectives: From Disability Accommodation to Universal Design]
+
* Stefan Khan-Kernahan - Course Reserves at UBC
+
* May Chan - [http://ow.ly/rhk3L Hackfests for the Uninitiated]
+
 
|-
 
|-
| 10:30 || Coffee break
+
| 9:15 || Lightning talks
 +
* Icebreaker activity - Patricia Lesku
 +
* Scraping index pages and VuFind implementation - Louise Brittain Boisvert
 +
* Blended learning in libraries: Google IT Support Certificate Program at Surrey Libraries - Erol Olcay
 +
* Implementing an IT service desk! - Tamarack Hockin / Jason Swan
 +
* Upgrading public computers and creating a game space for youth - Camille Ginnever
 
|-
 
|-
| 10:45 || Schedule Jam
+
| 10:30 || Break
 
|-
 
|-
| 11:00 || Breakout Sessions
+
| 10:45 || Lightning talks (continued)
* Connecting Public Services and Library Data (NE side of room) with Janis
+
* Authorities cleanup - Trevor Smith
* [[Creating_a_toolkit/process_for_collaborative,_grassroots_archiving_of_significant,_small_BC_websites_using_DIY_tools]] with Scott (NW side of room)]
+
* Implementing values in practical ways - Cynthia Ng
* Omeka Plugin with John and Jon (South Central side of room)
+
* Tell Your Story: Ebook creation for 11-14 - Patricia Lesku
* accessibility https://docs.google.com/document/d/13zM-Q84eYJqvfLdYWU8PkAf_z8RbeJC_iskPB5QlSo8/edit
+
*  
* Learn more about UBC'c Reserves Project
+
*  
* How to build in accessibility
+
 
|-
 
|-
| 1 Hour || Lunch (On Your Own) [http://eg2013.sitka.bclibraries.ca/social-events/#thursday-lunch Suggestions]
+
| 12:00 || Lunch (provided)
 
|-
 
|-
| 3:15 || Break
+
| 1:00 || Breakout sessions
 +
* The Lab Learning Space at WVML - Andrea Tartaglio / Patricia Lesku
 +
*
 
|-
 
|-
| 3:30 || Breakout Reports
+
| 2:30 || Break
 
|-
 
|-
| 5:00 || Social
+
| 2:45 || Breakout sessions (continued)
 +
* Blended learning in libraries - Erol Olcay
 +
*
 +
|-
 +
| 4:00 || Breakout reports
 +
|-
 +
| 5:00 || Social event
 +
* [https://goo.gl/maps/6KsoUh8XsAXp6ABm8 mahony | Burrard Landing]
 +
* Karaoke after?
 
|}
 
|}
  
==== Friday ====
+
==== Day 2 ====
{|
+
 
 +
{| class="wikitable"
 +
| 8:30 || Doors open
 +
|-
 
| 9:00 || Announcements
 
| 9:00 || Announcements
 
|-
 
|-
| || Lightning Talks
+
| 9:15 || Lightning talks
* Mark Jordan - [https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1015702/linked_to/docr_smd%20%40%20%23c4lbc.pdf DOCR/SMD] [https://github.com/mjordan/docr-smd Source code]
+
* Privacy-protecting technologies - Chelsea Palmer
* Peter Tyrrell - Parsing PDF into Various Formats, [https://gist.github.com/peaeater Powershell scripts]
+
* Code club for seniors - Dethe Elza
* John Durno - Uploading to Internet Archive via API
+
* Fair and FAIR data sharing in the Global South - Alicia Urquidi
* Colleen Bell - Integrating ERM & Libguides Content
+
* A review of open-source ERM options in 2019 - James Fournie
* James MacGregor - PKP Article Level Metrics with OJS and OMP
+
* Organizing Ideas podcast - Allison Jones / Karen Ng
* Jonathan Schatz - The Story of BC Libraries' IT Environments
+
* <strike>Sarah Sutherland - RFP Evaluation Process</strike>
+
* Paul Joseph - UBC Digital Library Framework
+
* Calvin Mah / Todd Holbrook - SFU Library - Hours Database
+
 
|-
 
|-
| 10:30 || Coffee break
+
| 10:30 || Break
 
|-
 
|-
| 11:00 || Breakout Sessions
+
| 10:45 || Lightning talks (continued)
* New bibliographic environment with May and Mark
+
* RefDesk Dashboard for Springshare data - Trevor Smith
* Engaging digital asset viewer
+
* Implementing OpenAthens for eResource authentication - Hillary Webb
* library hours tool & api
+
*  
* UBC IT Reorg by Paul
+
*  
* Learn more about Archivematica with Misty and Courtney
+
*  
* Library Hours Tools & API
+
* Hacking ILS's - [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a8gH5JAJXSt4eix5TOaWnm0aUWTTv5U1jgqEc1zAYg4/edit Google doc]
+
 
|-
 
|-
| 1 Hour || Lunch (On Your Own) [http://eg2013.sitka.bclibraries.ca/social-events/#thursday-lunch Suggestions]
+
| 12:00 || Lunch (provided)
 
|-
 
|-
| 3:15 || Break
+
| 1:00 || Breakout sessions
 +
* Web archiving - Dana McFarland
 +
* Project management - Trevor Smith
 +
 
 
|-
 
|-
| 3:30 || Breakout Reports
+
| 2:30 || Break
 
|-
 
|-
| 4:00 || End of Day
+
| 2:45 || Breakout sessions (continued)
 +
* Establishing a code club for adults/seniors - Dethe Elza
 +
* Who wants to host Code4Lib BC in 2020?
 +
|-
 +
| 4:00 || Breakout reports
 +
|-
 +
| 5:00 ||Meet up at [https://goo.gl/maps/K4xetNSFzyVKB1cv5 Coach House Lounge]
 
|}
 
|}
  
=== '''Lightning Talk Proposals''' ===
+
=== Sponsors ===
 
+
John Durno, University of Victoria
+
* Filling up the Internet Archive using their S3-like API. UVic recently uploaded 750G of old newspapers and metadata (over 15,000 issues) to the IA via their API, based on Amazon's S3, by way of a simple python script making use of the boto library and a wrapper supplied by one of the IA developers. The API proved surprisingly robust, and I'd like to spread the word.
+
 
+
 
+
Peter Tyrrell, Andornot
+
* Setting up Apache Solr to index and search over multiple source types: database and fielded data, Excel/CSV, scanned mags and newspapers, PDFs, word processor documents, websites, geolocations, etc. Focus will be on schema and DataImportHandler considerations, plus amusing anecdotes as time allows.
+
* Another option would be: scripts that parse a PDF into a TIF, JPG, TXT, and positional XML per page via djvulibre and imagemagick libraries. Make 'em ready for indexing and flexible display.
+
* I could maybe go over how to (and how NOT to) represent and display hierarchical (cough, archival) data in an Apache Solr index. Mostly this would be a juicy rant about how just how ruddy difficult I found it.
+
 
+
 
+
Stefan Khan-Kernahan, The University of British Columbia
+
* UBC is launching an in-house product for managing course reserves that helps streamline workflows between faculty & library, within library staff (e.g copyright control etc.), and library & student, which I'd like to present on, the content of which would be on completed modules to date and learning lessons for others
+
 
+
 
+
Marcus Emmanuel Barnes, Simon Fraser University
+
* Normalizing existing digitized content into standardized packages for robust long-term management.  A report on SFU Library's METS-Bagger tool, with a discussion of the benefits, design principles used for the packaging specification, and potential next steps.
+
 
+
 
+
Colleen Bell, University of the Fraser Valley
+
* I've been using PHP, JSON, and Libguides widgets to integrate Libguides content into our ERM and ERM content into our Libguides. This is particularly useful for libraries using SFU's researcher suite, but could provide ideas for anyone, since the code generated by the PHP can be displayed in any web page.
+
 
+
 
+
Mark Jordan, Simon Fraser University
+
* Libraries are realizing the potential for both exposing their locally managed content as Linked Data and for consuming Linked Data. One of the types of local data that offers a lot of promise for leveraging Linked Data's capabilities is the controlled subject terms applied to local digital collections. I would like to demonstrate how I've enriched SFU's Editorial Cartoons Collection's descriptive metadata with URIs from http://id.loc.gov, paying particular attention to those from the Thesaurus for Graphic Material.
+
* Explanation and demo of docr/smd, a distributed Optical Character Recognition platform designed to use smartphones and tablets to do the OCR.
+
 
+
 
+
May Chan, Burnaby Public Library
+
* Hackfests for the Uninitiated. For all sorts of reasons, hackfests can be intimidating to first-timers and especially to those who have little or no programming ability. To encourage those new to this form of collaborative learning, my LT will relate key a-ha! moments from my first hackfest experience, especially some difficult truths learned.
+
* The Code4Lib Conference Gender and Minority Scholarships. One of the ways Code4Lib supports gender and cultural diversity is to offer conference scholarships to women, transgendered persons and persons of ethnic or aboriginal descent. As a way to encourage potential BC applicants, this LT will give some nuanced background on the scholarship program and application process.
+
 
+
 
+
Calvin Mah / Todd Holbrook, SFU Library
+
* SFU Library - Hours Database.  The Library Hours Database developed by Todd Holbrook at SFU Library is a tool for managing library hours.  The SFU Library hours page is generated by this database:  http://www.lib.sfu.ca/about/hours
+
 
+
 
+
Sarah Sutherland, Canadian Legal Information Institute
+
* I would like to discuss the process involved in evaluating the responses to requests for proposals for technology projects. There are often several very good submissions once the basic requirements are met, and at that point it becomes more about the style of the vendor and what kind of project it is. We recently went through this process, so I will use some anonymized examples from our process to illustrate my talk.
+
 
+
 
+
Cynthia Ng, CILS @ Langara College
+
* Shifting Perspectives: From Disability Accommodation to Universal Design<br>
+
Too often we design for the "average" user and then tack on accommodations for those with disabilities, but there is no "average" user to speak of, and we all use "assistive" technology. With this presentation, I hope to help shift the way we think about library services and their delivery.
+
 
+
 
+
Linda Woodcock, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
+
* RDA : 10 Things. Walks through an RDA record focusing on new data elements and changes from AACR2.  Will talk about benefits to user and possibilities for the future use of new data.
+
 
+
 
+
Jonathan Schatz, BC Libraries Cooperative
+
* This summer a colleague and I toured three library federations BC as "field librarians". These treks were part of a unique project to survey the IT environments of the Co-op's member libraries. In addition to sharing the data with the libraries as actionable status reports, we are developing an app to track all this member data for our support team, allowing for a high-level snapshot of Sitka libraries. I want to tell a quick story about what sorts of configurations and solutions we saw out there, what seem to work, what to avoid and perhaps some DIY tips for technology management for libraries with fewer resources.
+
 
+
 
+
James MacGregor, Simon Fraser University Library
+
* Public Knowledge Project has been working with PLOS to implement article level metrics within OJS and OMP. We are past the initial development stage, with a number of implementations live in production environments. We will discuss the available toolset, and future plans for it.
+
 
+
 
+
Misty De Meo, Artefactual Systems
+
* Archivematica Format Policy Registry (FPR)<br>
+
Archivematica is an open-source digital preservation platform.<br>
+
Starting with version 1.0, Archivematica has made much of the standard behaviour of Archivematica configurable. The FPR provides a database of the recognized formats in Archivematica along with the rules used to control how files are identified, how metadata is extracted, and how files are normalized, all of which is customizable by users without changing the Archivematica source code. This lightning talk would go over the FPR and what it enables in Archivematica, as well as the open-source FPR administrator app.
+
* FITS performance optimizations<br>
+
Archivematica has begun work on performance improvements to reduce the performance overhead of the FITS file identification tool in digital preservation workflows. This lightning talk would go over the major performance bottlenecks discovered and discuss the ways in which Archivematica is working to improve them.
+
 
+
=== '''Hackfest/Breakout Suggestions''' ===
+
 
+
Requests, but facilitator needed:
+
* Want to put us where the user is - discuss
+
* collaboratively improve an open source project's crappy documentation
+
* my website is stuck in a crappy institutional CMS. What can I do with it?
+
 
+
John Durno, University of Victoria
+
* Develop an Omeka module that uses the Internet Archive to host video and audio content, essentially using Omeka as the front end user interface while taking advantage of the IA's media delivery/streaming capabilities. I envision two components: content and metadata would be uploaded via Omeka's admin interface. The IA's media player would be embedded in the public interface for content delivery.
+
 
+
 
+
Stefan Khan-Kernahan, The University of British Columbia
+
* Building a more engaging digital asset viewer than what is provided by ContentDM/competitors. Details: current digital asset presentation (e.g Content DM), whilst providing all the ""necessary"" information for the user (image + metadata etc.) simply lack in user engagement. If universities are expecting to build interest in these collections among current/future students, they need to cater for a more involved experience. I am proposing an image viewer for digital assets that allows tagging/hotspot that trigger supplementary information beyond metadata (e.g. video explanations of areas on maps, how they came to be etc)
+
 
+
 
+
Karen J. Nelson, Capilano Unversity Library
+
* Could we have a quickie: 1. FRBR explanation. 2.  ditto data exchange. 3. ditto linked data. 4. bibframe. 5. WEMI language
+
  
 +
While Code4Lib BC no longer solicits sponsorship, we want to acknowledge the contributions of our hosts:
  
Jonathan Jacobsen, Andornot
+
* [https://westvanlibrary.ca/ West Vancouver Memorial Library]
* I'm working on a virtual exhibit project using Omeka right now, so I second the idea of an Omeka breakout session. Would love to connect with some other Omeka users/developers. In particular, to discuss the Solr plug-in.
+
* [https://library.capilanou.ca/ Capilano University]
 +
* [https://nvdpl.ca/ North Vancouver District Public Library]
  
 +
as well as continued administrative and fiscal support from the [https://bc.libraries.coop/ BC Libraries Cooperative].
  
Scott Leslie, BC Libraries Cooperative
+
=== 2019 Organizers ===
* [[Creating a toolkit/process for collaborative, grassroots archiving of significant, small BC websites using DIY tools]]
+
  
 +
* Kevin Brash
 +
* Michel Castagné
 +
* Glen Greenly
 +
* Maryann Kempthorne
 +
* Patricia Lesku
 +
* Jennifer O'Donnell
 +
* Fiacre O'Duinn
 +
* Andrea Tartaglio
  
May Chan, Burnaby Public Library, and Mark Jordan, Simon Fraser University
+
Comments or questions? Get in touch with us at c4lbc-organizers@googlegroups.com.
* New bibliographic environment. This breakout session will provide opportunities for us to explore new and emerging models for bibliographic data, such as FRBR, the DCMI Abstract Model, and BIBFRAME with the context of the Resource Description Framework (RDF) and Linked Data. This breakout will take the approach of self-directed learning in a collaborative environment (i.e. there will be no expert talking heads). In the first hour, we will individually review some [http://ow.ly/rb9jo suggested background material]. As we work through the material, we will record topics of interest and questions [http://ow.ly/rb9ql here]. Feel free to add other suggested resources and related topics/questions at any time. In the second hour, based on things learned and topics/questions generated in Hour 1, we will assemble into groups of 2 or 3 and develop a 10-minute 'overview' of one topic/question to explore further. We can sign up for them once we collectively finalize the topics. In the last hour, we will present our overviews to the larger group.
+
  
 +
= '''Past Events''' =
  
Janis McKenzie, Simon Fraser University
+
See our [[BC_Past_Events|past events]] page.
* What do we really know about library use and what can we do with this information? The general idea of this breakout session is to connect those who made decisions about public services (and want to make more informed public service decisions) and those who have access to data on how library resources of all types are being used. The expected outcome would be to work towards identifying the types of activities that reflect how libraries are used today, with a focus on the impact of new, emerging, and future library services.
+

Latest revision as of 23:34, 12 November 2019

Welcome to Code4Lib BC! Begun in Summer 2013, this chapter aims to create connections and professional development opportunities for folks from British Columbia and surrounding areas.

Seventh Annual Code4Lib BC Unconference 2019

  • Thursday, 28 November and Friday, 29 November
  • Update: We are now sold out!

This year's Code4Lib BC will be held on the North Shore of Metro Vancouver, and jointly hosted by West Vancouver Memorial Library and Capilano University. The Thursday events will be held at the West Vancouver Memorial Library. Friday's activities will be held at Capilano University's main campus.

What's it all about?

It's a 2-day unconference - a participant-driven meeting bringing together a diverse and open community of library developers and non-developers engaging in effective, collaborative problem-solving through technology regardless of their department or background.

The event will feature lightning talks, breakout sessions, with coffee, tea and snacks provided. Lightning talks are brief presentations which are typically 10 minutes in length on topics related to library technologies. Breakout sessions are an opportunity to bring participants together in an ad hoc fashion for a short, yet sustained period of problem solving, software development and fun. If there is a neat project you're been working on, a cool new tool you want to show off, or an interesting development in the world of library technology that you want to discuss, Code4Lib BC is a great opportunity to share with the community!

  • What's included: wifi, power, coffee/snacks, lunches, prizes.
  • What's NOT included/what to bring: a laptop, dinner, your ideas and enthusiasm.
  • Code of Conduct: As a Code4Lib event, we adhere to the Code4Lib Code of Conduct, which seeks to provide a welcoming, harassment-free environment.

Lightning Talk and Breakout Session Ideas

Is there a neat project you've been working on, a cool new tool you want to show off, or an interesting development in the world of library technology that you want to discuss?

Food/Transportation

Do you have dietary restrictions? Let us know when you register.

Accommodations

  • Lonsdale Hotel: Rates start at $159.50/night (non-refundable) or $206.25/night (refundable).

Schedule

Day 1

8:30 Doors open
9:00 Welcome and announcements
9:15 Lightning talks
  • Icebreaker activity - Patricia Lesku
  • Scraping index pages and VuFind implementation - Louise Brittain Boisvert
  • Blended learning in libraries: Google IT Support Certificate Program at Surrey Libraries - Erol Olcay
  • Implementing an IT service desk! - Tamarack Hockin / Jason Swan
  • Upgrading public computers and creating a game space for youth - Camille Ginnever
10:30 Break
10:45 Lightning talks (continued)
  • Authorities cleanup - Trevor Smith
  • Implementing values in practical ways - Cynthia Ng
  • Tell Your Story: Ebook creation for 11-14 - Patricia Lesku
12:00 Lunch (provided)
1:00 Breakout sessions
  • The Lab Learning Space at WVML - Andrea Tartaglio / Patricia Lesku
2:30 Break
2:45 Breakout sessions (continued)
  • Blended learning in libraries - Erol Olcay
4:00 Breakout reports
5:00 Social event

Day 2

8:30 Doors open
9:00 Announcements
9:15 Lightning talks
  • Privacy-protecting technologies - Chelsea Palmer
  • Code club for seniors - Dethe Elza
  • Fair and FAIR data sharing in the Global South - Alicia Urquidi
  • A review of open-source ERM options in 2019 - James Fournie
  • Organizing Ideas podcast - Allison Jones / Karen Ng
10:30 Break
10:45 Lightning talks (continued)
  • RefDesk Dashboard for Springshare data - Trevor Smith
  • Implementing OpenAthens for eResource authentication - Hillary Webb
12:00 Lunch (provided)
1:00 Breakout sessions
  • Web archiving - Dana McFarland
  • Project management - Trevor Smith
2:30 Break
2:45 Breakout sessions (continued)
  • Establishing a code club for adults/seniors - Dethe Elza
  • Who wants to host Code4Lib BC in 2020?
4:00 Breakout reports
5:00 Meet up at Coach House Lounge

Sponsors

While Code4Lib BC no longer solicits sponsorship, we want to acknowledge the contributions of our hosts:

as well as continued administrative and fiscal support from the BC Libraries Cooperative.

2019 Organizers

  • Kevin Brash
  • Michel Castagné
  • Glen Greenly
  • Maryann Kempthorne
  • Patricia Lesku
  • Jennifer O'Donnell
  • Fiacre O'Duinn
  • Andrea Tartaglio

Comments or questions? Get in touch with us at c4lbc-organizers@googlegroups.com.

Past Events

See our past events page.