Bay Area Code of Conduct
Code4Lib Midwest is dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference at the discretion of the conference organizers.
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the conference organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the conference. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a conference organizer immediately.
The conference planning committee will be happy to help participants contact local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the conference. We value your attendance.
- Email address for organizers: Roy Tennant, email@example.com, Jeanette McNicol, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone number for conference security or organizers: 707-287-5580 (Roy, cell); 650-287-2133 (Jeanette, desk)
- Phone numbers for venue facilities managers: See the desk by the front door, just outside the auditorium; there is a security guard there
- Local law enforcement: 911 or Security Guard at the desk by the front door; Non-emergency police assistance: (650) 522-7700, San Mateo Police Department
- Local 24-hour sexual assault hot line: 800-675-8437 (Adult Protective Services)
- Local emergency and non-emergency medical: 911 or San Mateo Medical Center, (650) 573-2222
- Local taxi company: San Mateo Taxi Services (650) 281-1987
We expect participants to follow these rules at all conference venues and conference-related social events.
Based on the example policy from the Geek Feminism wiki , created by the Ada Initiative and other volunteers.