C4L2010 social activities
Plan one if you like! Either on your own or you can join the social activities committee.
Asheville Brews Cruise
"Experience a taste of Asheville’s thriving local beer scene with an exclusive tour of three of our award-winning microbreweries." - http://www.brewscruise.com/asheville/
This activity will be Tuesday night starting at 6pm and leaving from the hotel. First stop will be the Asheville Pizza & Brewing Co. to sample 16-20 different beers and eat some pizza (food billed separately). Then two more stops at the French Broad Brewery and the Highland Brewing Company for more beer sampling and learning about their brewery process.
The cost will be $40/person (not including pizza). The minimum number of folks we need is 16. There is no maximum.
Beer Cruise Signup
Please indicate interest in the Beer Cruise by adding your name to the list below. We'll figure out a way to coordinate and communicate the details somewhere down the line.
- Jay Luker (organizer)
- Mike Giarlo (inebriator)
- Rob Casson (drunk)
- Declan Fleming (beer receptacle)
- Jim Safley (recovering teetotaler)
- Ian Walls (epicurean of ale)
- Bill Erickson (burp)
- Christopher Spalding (thirsty)
- Jon Gorman (imbiber of that which is good)
- Lori Stethers (token female)
- Carol Ou (beer enthusiast)
- Cristóbal Palmer (Reinheitsgebot skeptic)
- Tod Olson (enabler)
- Mark Matienzo (alefounder)
- Sibyl Schaefer (barfly)
- Laney McGlohon (brewmaster's assistant)
- Tania Fersenheim (Gold Medalist - Ithaca Beerlympics - Summer 1993)
- Melissa Manolis (Beer lacky and Librarian Groupie)
- Greg McClellan (brews hound)
- Mark Gallagher (Thing 1)
- Matt Bachtell (Thing 2)
- Sarah Kahn (has no title)
- Eric James (pour)
- Ray Schwartz (mighty thirsty)
- Jason Stirnaman (all about the stout)
12 Bones BBQ Lunch Excursion
12 Bones BBQ is widely considered the best BBQ in Asheville [*]. However it is only open from 11-4, M-F. I would like to organize a lunchtime excursion via taxi or maybe hotel shuttle. According to google maps it is only a five minute drive from the hotel, so should be doable within our lunch window.
This excursion is tentatively scheduled for lunchtime on Wednesday, February 24th.
BBQ Excursion Signup
For the time being please indicate interest in the BBQ excursion by adding your name to the list below. We'll figure out a way to coordinate and communicate the details somewhere down the line.
- Jay Luker (organizer)
- Mike Giarlo (consumer)
- Rob Casson (glutton)
- Declan Fleming (condor)
- Erik Hatcher (carnivore)
- Christopher Spalding (digs swine)
- Mike Durbin (Porkaholic)
- Jeremy Frumkin (alloftheabove)
- Jon Gorman (Aficionado of smoke, flame, and good sauces)
- Rosalyn Metz (i <3 pulled pork + cornbread)
- Michael Klein (EAT PIG)
- Mark Matienzo (saucy fellow)
- Sibyl Schaefer (finger licker)
- Greg McClellan (Mmmm... Pig)
- Ranti Junus (beef and chicken cheerleader)
- Tania Fersenheim (can't think of any non-vulgar tag lines)
- Matt Bachtell (hope they have vinegar based BBQ)
- Ray Schwartz (I eat vegetarians)
First time at code4lib? Join fellow c4l newbies for an evening of food, socializing, and stimulating discussions about the many uses of bacon.
Tentative plans (more information to come)
- When: Monday evening
- Where: Meet in hotel lobby, restaurant TBA
- Newbie herders (hosts): Emily Lynema, Rosalyn Metz, and Becky Yoose
Gotta make up for that BBQ excursion somehow. Let's work out! Ideas: jogging or CrossFitting (Monday evening, 5:30pm or 6:30pm). Signup:
- Erik Hatcher (game for both jogging and CrossFitting, bring it!)
- Erik Mitchell (Run downtown asheville or the parkway? - great 12 mile climb up the parkway around Pisgah Mtn.), How about a Code4Lib half-marathon? (Why NOT! Let's do a Half Marathon) - Ray Schwartz
- Bike riding - yes might be sketchy given our current weather
- Hike up Looking Glass Rock 
- Emily Lynema (game for jogging, hiking, walking, jumping jacks; not crazy enough for parkway running!)
- Ray Schwartz (game for a run - why not a half marathon?!).