Michael Klein has created a C4L2010rideshare page for more general rideshare/airport ground transportation/other Asheville-bound travel planning.
Yitzchak Schaffer is tentatively (as of 16 Dec 09, waiting for word on funding approval) organizing a carpool from or through the NYC area to the con in Asheville, NC. See  for the original proposal, the idea being to rent a car/van, or use someone's if possible. I
do not plan on might be attending the precons, if it's make-or-break. Parties expressing interest:
- Bess Sadler (VA)
- Mike Giarlo (State College, PA, but can take train to Philly)
- Jennifer (Boston MA, has car)
Mark Matienzo (NYC)
Kevin Reiss (New Jersey - Exit 10)
A new section for precon people:
Anna Headley (Philly PA) have car but not attached to using it (won't fit 5 if we want to avoid violence -- 4 max)
- Gabriel Farrell (Philly, PA) have truck but it's old and doesn't get great mileage (ain't no tesla roadster)
- Cory Rockliff (NYC) non-driver. also, still waiting for word on funding.
- Edward Corrado (Binghamton, NY) - waiting on ruling about library van (not sure if non-SUNY or non-Binghamton Univ. people are allowed in for insurance reasons, but might be interested in sharing personal car if someone to help pay expenses can be found)
- Sean Chen (Chapel Hill, NC): Definitely going for the full duration. Can take 2 or 3 people.
Rates for full-size car (driver + 4) and van as of Dec. 9, 2009 from NY/NJ, Sunday-Friday:
- Budget: 345 / 471 (7 pass)
- Avis: 346 / 481 (7 pass)
- Hertz: mileage limitation
- Enterprise: mileage limitation
Esme Cowles is planning to drive up from Gainesville, FL and could take up to 3 others from Florida, South Carolina or Georgia (depending on route). Anyone interested?
Cody Hennesy is looking to be a roommate arriving Feb 21 departing Feb 25. chennesy at cca dot edu.
Becky Yoose - Looking for a roommate... Room booked from Sunday 2/21 to Thursday 2/25. Email me at yoosebj at muohio dot edu if interested.
Gwen Exner - Looking for a roommate. Room booked from Monday 2/22 to Thursday 2/25. Email me at gwenexner at gmail dot com if interested.
Jon Gorman - Looking for a roommate. Room booked at Renaissance (so probably about $70 a night) from Sunday 2/21 to Thursday 2/25. Email me at jtgorman at illinois dot edu if interested. (I'm looking for a roommate again, the person who contacted me is no longer able to make the conference).
Carol Bean - Looking for a roommate. Room booked at 4Points (government rate, so about $43/night) from Sunday 2/21 to Thursday 2/25. Email me at carol (underscore) bean at ca11 dot uscourts dot gov.
Hostels and Cheap Places to Stay
- Asheville Arthaus Hostel (downtown + wifi) - rates
- Bon Paul and Sharky's Hostel of Asheville (wifi) rates
- Sweet Peas Hostel (downtown) newspaper article