C4L2011 planning wishlist
Code4Lib 2011 ideas
See also C4L2010planning: wishlist
- Ask people to download in advance
- Remind preconference leaders 2 weeks before the conference to send an email to registrants. (Email registrants 1 week in advance b/c time before travel is hectic, may be offline)
If you do the preconferences in the main conference space (vs. in spread-out off-site spots), many people will expect breakfast or at least regular coffee/tea/soft-drink breaks throughout the day (so have them?)
Liked all the preorganization of social acivities
Providence, power supplies on top of the table, worked well (Asheville, they were on the floor)
Presentations and Program
- Make people use a single conference PC (but Mac, Linux, Win?)
- Ask for slides (investigate option for sharing ad-hoc)
- Reserve time in the schedule for "Ask Anything"
- Schedule the lightning talk slots before the breakouts on each day
- Expect higher bandwidth issues on pre-conferences if held in same venue. ???
- Find out exactly which ethernet ports in the venue are on the protected bandwidth dedication and be sure speakers are hooked to them.
- Make sure wireless access points are not plugged into ports that have protected bandwidth dedication.
- For preconferences, do downloads before coming - minimizes problems with bandwidth, and saves time at the preconference to work with the app
- Bandwidth usage, for planning
- Do ask anything before the first bunch of breakout sessions. Organize some breakout sessions based on questions/answers
- Include institution, please.
- Leave space on name tags for first-timer self-identification
- Leave space on name tags for doodling one's interests
Packet Handed Out
- list of attendees - name, institution, email ... projects/topic of interest? (free text field on form?)
- map of meeting rooms
- brief schedule (titles only)
- full schedule (abstracts)
- list of restaurants is great!
- Projector is awesome - do this
Room size/slide visability
Smaller distance to front of room Remind speakers to fontup Make sure bottom of screen is visible with peoples' heads in the way
non-black much appreciated at 2010