A "hyperlocal" Code4Lib chapter, which has been in existence since around 2010.
- Google Group
- Use this to chat about local issues, propose meetings, and let us know about local events.
Fall 2015 Meeting
- November 23, 2015
- Daley Library, UIC, Room 1-470
- Watch this space for details.
- Register via EventBrite
- At this point, all tickets are taken; you are welcome to sign up for the waitlist. Allan will let you know as soon as anyone cancels.
This is still flexible.
- assemble / coffee
- start / welcome
- lightning talks
- break / order lunch
- lightning talks
- lunch / group walk to cupcakes / getting to know one another / group photo
- library tour
- hackathon breakout(s) / lightning talks / other breakouts / BOFs (in parallel)
- more content, TBD
- wrap-up (sustaining energy & engagement?)
- social at Jak's Tap http://jakstap.com/bar_and_grill_location_chicago_il.html
Lightning Talks @10:45-12:00
- If you have an idea, please sign up for a slot! These are quick, low-pressure talks, and you'll get good karma.
- Examples of lightning talks given at the last national Code4Lib.
- These are set as five minute slots, but at least a few will go over. So there's some flex time at the end.
- Distant reading of texts from the HathiTrust, JSTOR, and/or EEBO
- Eric Lease Morgan (Librarian-At-Large)
- On EAD
- Esther Verreau, UIC
- Paul Keith, Chicago Public Library
- Explore Chicago Collections
- Tracy Seneca and Kate Flynn, UIC
- TopicHub: identify content of interest in one repository and deposit it in another
- Jeremy Prevost, MIT
Breakout/Hackathon Sessions @1:30-3:00
- Up for debate: these are just some possible topics. We need four total.
- If you have an idea, add it to the list! If we end up with more than four, we will conduct a straw poll to determine the most relevant/popular.
- For inspiration, here is the list of pre-conference workshops at the last national Code4Lib
- Headless CMSs (Wordpress, Drupal)?
- Meteor.js tutorial?
- Metadata/data hackathon? - A discussion around tools and workflows for cleaning up messy data; bring your own data sets to work on if you like
3:15: more content, TBD (??)
- What content do you want during this slot?
UIC Environs: Lunch and Parking
- Lunch and parking map
- Food options are mostly clustered in three places: Greektown (N of the freeway along Halsted), Taylor street (SW of campus), and University Village (S along Halsted).
- Join us at Jak's Tap at 5:00pm, for beer and further discussion!
- Jak's is within walking distance of UIC, a block or two north, across the freeway. Parking can be challenging up there, although meters are usually available on Jackson Blvd.
Getting to UIC
- Public Transit: Take the Blue Line west from the Loop; get off at the UIC-Halsted stop. Walk south.
- More information on visiting UIC, including (better) mass-transit directions
- Parking in a UIC lot will cost $13 for a full day.
- If you're driving, there are several parking lots available (marked on the above map); I recommend the one south of campus (1135 Morgan). Note that no streets connect Harrison with Taylor, including Morgan, between Racine and Halsted; to reach the south lot, come up Morgan from Roosevelt.
Circle Interchange difficulties
- Circle Interchange (the confluence of I-90 and I-290 just NE of campus) construction is ongoing.
- Construction is causing traffic havoc nearby, especially near the corner of Harrison and Halsted. The Harrison bridge over I-90 doesn't currently exist. Best to avoid this area if possible.
- The Morgan street exit from I-290 has been closed for some time. According to IDOT:
- Exiting access is prohibited from Westbound I-290/Congress Parkway
- From Southbound I-90/94 - exit Adams Street
- From Northbound I-90/94 - exit Ashland Avenue, backtrack east via Jackson Boulevard or Harrison Street