Revision as of 15:39, 7 October 2015 by AllanBerry (Talk | contribs)
A "hyperlocal" Code4Lib chapter, which has been in existence since around 2010.
Google Group Use this to chat about local issues, propose meetings, and let us know about local events.
Fall 2015 Meeting
- November 23, 2015
- Daley Library, UIC, Room 1-470
- Watch this space for details.
- Register via EventBrite
- 8:30: assemble / coffee
- 9:00: start / welcome
- 9:15: lightning talks
- 10:30: break / order lunch
- 10:45: lightning talks
- 12:00: lunch / group walk to cupcakes / getting to know one another / group photo
- 13:00: library tour
- 13:30: hackathon breakout(s) / lightning talks / other breakouts / BOFs (in parallel)
- 15:00: break
- 15:15: more content, TBD
- 16:15: wrap-up (sustaining energy & engagement?)
- 16:30: end
- 17:00: social at local pub
Lightning Talks @10:45-12:00
If you have an idea, please sign up for a slot! These are quick, low-pressure talks, and you'll get good karma.
- Distant reading of texts from the HathiTrust, JSTOR, and/or EEBO
- Eric Lease Morgan (Librarian-At-Large)
- On EAD
- Esther Verreau (and Kate Flynn?), UIC
Breakout/Hackathon Sessions @13:30-15:00
- Headless CMSs (Wordpress, Drupal)
UIC Environs: Lunch and Parking
- Lunch and parking map, curated by Allan Berry
- Food options are mostly clustered in three places: Greektown (N of the freeway along Halsted), Taylor street (SW of campus), and University Village (S along Halsted).
Getting to UIC
- Public Transit: Take the Blue Line west from the Loop; get off at the UIC-Halsted stop. Walk south.
- More information on visiting UIC, including (better) mass-transit directions
- Parking in a UIC lot will cost $13 for a full day.
- If you're driving, there are several parking lots available (marked on the above map); I recommend the one south of campus (1135 Morgan). Note that no streets connect Harrison with Taylor, including Morgan, between Racine and Halsted; to reach the south lot, come up Morgan from Roosevelt.
- Note: the Circle Interchange (the confluence of I-90 and I-290 just NE of campus) is causing traffic havoc nearby, especially near the corner of Harrison and Halsted. The Harrison bridge over I-90 doesn't currently exist. Best to avoid this area if possible.