Revision as of 17:05, 12 October 2015 by AllanBerry (Talk | contribs)
A "hyperlocal" Code4Lib chapter, which has been in existence since around 2010.
Google Group Use this to chat about local issues, propose meetings, and let us know about local events.
Fall 2015 Meeting
- November 23, 2015
- Daley Library, UIC, Room 1-470
- Watch this space for details.
- Register via EventBrite
- 8:30: assemble / coffee
- 9:00: start / welcome
- 9:15: lightning talks
- 10:30: break / order lunch
- 10:45: lightning talks
- 12:00: lunch / group walk to cupcakes / getting to know one another / group photo
- 13:00: library tour
- 13:30: hackathon breakout(s) / lightning talks / other breakouts / BOFs (in parallel)
- 15:00: break
- 15:15: more content, TBD
- 16:15: wrap-up (sustaining energy & engagement?)
- 16:30: end
- 17:00: social at local pub
Lightning Talks @10:45-12:00
- If you have an idea, please sign up for a slot! These are quick, low-pressure talks, and you'll get good karma.
- Examples of lightning talks given at the last national Code4Lib.
- Distant reading of texts from the HathiTrust, JSTOR, and/or EEBO
- Eric Lease Morgan (Librarian-At-Large)
- On EAD
- Esther Verreau (and Kate Flynn?), UIC
- Paul Keith, Chicago Public Library
Breakout/Hackathon Sessions @13:30-15:00
- These are up for debate! These are just some possible topics; we need at least four. If you have an idea, add it to the list! If we end up with more than four, we will conduct a straw poll to determine the most relevant/popular.
- For inspiration, here is the list of pre-conference workshops at the last national Code4Lib
- Headless CMSs (Wordpress, Drupal)?
- Meteor.js tutorial?
15:15: more content, TBD
- What content do you want during this slot?
- We're planning on hanging out at Moxee after the event. More details soon.
UIC Environs: Lunch and Parking
- Lunch and parking map
- Food options are mostly clustered in three places: Greektown (N of the freeway along Halsted), Taylor street (SW of campus), and University Village (S along Halsted).
Getting to UIC
- Public Transit: Take the Blue Line west from the Loop; get off at the UIC-Halsted stop. Walk south.
- More information on visiting UIC, including (better) mass-transit directions
- Parking in a UIC lot will cost $13 for a full day.
- If you're driving, there are several parking lots available (marked on the above map); I recommend the one south of campus (1135 Morgan). Note that no streets connect Harrison with Taylor, including Morgan, between Racine and Halsted; to reach the south lot, come up Morgan from Roosevelt.
- Circle Interchange difficulties
- Circle Interchange (the confluence of I-90 and I-290 just NE of campus) construction is ongoing.
- Construction is causing traffic havoc nearby, especially near the corner of Harrison and Halsted. The Harrison bridge over I-90 doesn't currently exist. Best to avoid this area if possible.
- The Morgan street exit from I-290 has been closed for some time. According to IDOT:
- Exiting access is prohibited from Westbound I-290/Congress Parkway
- From Southbound I-90/94 - exit Adams Street
- From Northbound I-90/94 - exit Ashland Avenue, backtrack east via Jackson Boulevard or Harrison Street