Revision as of 17:18, 12 October 2015 by AllanBerry
A "hyperlocal" Code4Lib chapter, which has been in existence since around 2010.
- Google Group
- Use this to chat about local issues, propose meetings, and let us know about local events.
Fall 2015 Meeting
- November 23, 2015
- Daley Library, UIC, Room 1-470
- Watch this space for details.
- Register via EventBrite
This is still flexible.
- 8:30: assemble / coffee
- 9:00: start / welcome
- 9:15: lightning talks
- 10:30: break / order lunch
- 10:45: lightning talks
- 12:00: lunch / group walk to cupcakes / getting to know one another / group photo
- 13:00: library tour
- 13:30: hackathon breakout(s) / lightning talks / other breakouts / BOFs (in parallel)
- 15:00: break
- 15:15: more content, TBD
- 16:15: wrap-up (sustaining energy & engagement?)
- 16:30: end
- 17:00: social at local pub
Lightning Talks @10:45-12:00
- If you have an idea, please sign up for a slot! These are quick, low-pressure talks, and you'll get good karma.
- Examples of lightning talks given at the last national Code4Lib.
- Distant reading of texts from the HathiTrust, JSTOR, and/or EEBO
- Eric Lease Morgan (Librarian-At-Large)
- On EAD
- Esther Verreau (and Kate Flynn?), UIC
- Paul Keith, Chicago Public Library
Breakout/Hackathon Sessions @13:30-15:00
- Up for debate: these are just some possible topics. We need four total.
- If you have an idea, add it to the list! If we end up with more than four, we will conduct a straw poll to determine the most relevant/popular.
- For inspiration, here is the list of pre-conference workshops at the last national Code4Lib
- Headless CMSs (Wordpress, Drupal)?
- Meteor.js tutorial?
15:15: more content, TBD (??)
- What content do you want during this slot?
- We're planning on hanging out at Moxee after the event. More details soon.
UIC Environs: Lunch and Parking
- Lunch and parking map
- Food options are mostly clustered in three places: Greektown (N of the freeway along Halsted), Taylor street (SW of campus), and University Village (S along Halsted).
Getting to UIC
- Public Transit: Take the Blue Line west from the Loop; get off at the UIC-Halsted stop. Walk south.
- More information on visiting UIC, including (better) mass-transit directions
- Parking in a UIC lot will cost $13 for a full day.
- If you're driving, there are several parking lots available (marked on the above map); I recommend the one south of campus (1135 Morgan). Note that no streets connect Harrison with Taylor, including Morgan, between Racine and Halsted; to reach the south lot, come up Morgan from Roosevelt.
- Circle Interchange difficulties
- Circle Interchange (the confluence of I-90 and I-290 just NE of campus) construction is ongoing.
- Construction is causing traffic havoc nearby, especially near the corner of Harrison and Halsted. The Harrison bridge over I-90 doesn't currently exist. Best to avoid this area if possible.
- The Morgan street exit from I-290 has been closed for some time. According to IDOT:
- Exiting access is prohibited from Westbound I-290/Congress Parkway
- From Southbound I-90/94 - exit Adams Street
- From Northbound I-90/94 - exit Ashland Avenue, backtrack east via Jackson Boulevard or Harrison Street