Welcome to Code4Lib Mid-Atlantic, a Philadelphia Area/Tri-State chapter of the Code4Lib organization.
We're looking to officially kick off the chapter on October 17th, 2012 at the Code4Lib Mid-Atlantic conference. The goal of the organization is to connect librarians, hackers, designers, architects, curators, catalogers, artists and instigators in the Philadelphia and greater Tri-State area (and if you're further out, that's cool too).
Call for Volunteers
We're looking for volunteers, not only for the kick-off conference, but for general long-term organizational duties. Positions that we know we need include a social media expert, an IRC guy/gal, and a social functions organizer. We also need volunteers to help us with needs we as yet don't know we need (and feel free to identify them). If you're interested in helping the chapter, list your name, email address, affiliation and area of interest here and I'll pull together a Skype chat in the near future:
- David K Uspal, davidDOTuspalATvillanovaDOTedu, Villanova University, Guy who put the initial wiki entry together and official contact point for the 2012 conference
- Tim Clarke, tclarkeATmuhlenbergDOTedu, Muhlenberg College, willing to help with anything
- Scott Williams, scottwiATupennDOTedu, Penn Museum, willing to help with anything
- Matt Zimmerman, mzimmermanATbrynmawrDOTedu, Bryn Mawr College, soft skills stuff (communications, organizing, cat herding, getting people to play nicely together)
Planning has begun for a Code4Lib Mid-Atlantic conference, located at Falvey Memorial Library, Villanova University on October 17th, 2012. This conference is a part of the series of tech conferences, nicknamed the "Tech Trifecta", being held at Falvey Library over the week of October 15th, 2012. Conferences being held include the VuFind Summit 2012 (October 15th and 16th), Code4Lib Mid-Atlantic (October 17th), and VuStuff III (October 18th). Registration for the conference is now open, and can be found here, and more information on the Tech Trifecta can be found below.
Call for Proposals
Along with opening registration, we're now accepting proposals for the Code4Lib Mid-Atlantic conference. Like the national conference, we're looking for talks with the general themes of: "tools" (some cool new software, software library or integration platform), "specs" (how to get the most out of some protocols, or proposals for new ones), or "challenges" (One or more big problems we should collectively address). If you're interested in giving a talk, you can submit your proposal here.
The Tech Trifecta is a series of three conferences to be held at Falvey Memorial Library, Villanova University over the week of October 15th, 2012. The three conferences making up the Tech Trifecta week include:
- VuFind Summit 2012 (Oct 15th and 16th) -- The follow-up to 2010's 2.0 planning meeting will include detailed discussion of the new release and opportunities to network with other VuFind users.
- Code4Lib Mid-Atlantic 2012 (Oct 17th) -- Code4Lib is a volunteer-driven collective of hackers, designers, architects, curators, catalogers, artists and instigators from around the world, who largely work for and with libraries, archives and museums on technology "stuff." The Mid-Atlantic conference is a kick-off for a Philadelphia Area/Tri-State chapter of the organization.
- VuStuff III (Oct 18th) -- VuStuff is an annual conference on the intersections between technology and scholarly communication. It takes place every Fall at Villanova University's Falvey Memorial Library. This year's conference, VuStuff III, will seek presentations from regional librarians on technology and scholarly communication in their respective libraries. We hope to foster an ongoing conversation among regional libraries, in order to further the development of technology in service of scholarly communication.
So, why link three conferences together into one larger event week? Well, since all three conferences are technology related and since we've gotten a lot of cross-conference interest, the staff for all three events have decided to pool their resources and offer all three events in the same week. The idea is to make travel arrangements for visitors much more convenient (as well as cheaper), while pooling resources among all three conferences helps keep the cost down on all three.
Just interested in Code4Lib Mid-Atlantic? You can register for just Code4Lib, or a combination of any of the three.
The registration fees for these three conferences are as follows:
* VuFind Summit 2012, October 15th and 16th, $50.00 Registration Fee * Code4Lib Mid-Atlantic 2012, October 17th, $25.00 Registration Fee * VuStuff III, October 18th, Free
For the upcoming 2012 conference, we're looking to mimic the national conference in allowing registered attendees to vote on the proposals they're most interested in hearing. We've yet to finalize the schedule (aka we don't as yet know how many speaker slots will be available), but we'll make the information available as we finalize it.
Speaking of which, if you have a idea that you'd like to see implemented at the 2012 conference, or among the group in general, don't hesitate to add it to the wiki below. We definitely are looking for some good ideas to help make the conference more enjoyable and better fit your needs.
Code4Lib Mid-Atlantic Good Ideas List (name, email address, affiliation and idea):
- David K Uspal, davidDOTuspalATvillanovaDOTedu, Villanova University, Make a Good Ideas List under the Governance heading
Questions on the 2012 conference can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Other inquiries, or general comments can be directed to David Uspal at davidDOTuspalATvillanovaDOTedu