Logistics and planning info for the 2018 C4L DC/MD/VA Meetup.
Friday August 3, 2018
8:00-5:00 (entry beginning ?)
Room: 6107 (6th floor)
University of Maryland
Register at MDC/2018/Registration.
Registration is free, but please do register if you are planning to attend, so we can plan accordingly! We have a maximum capacity of 50.
Code of Conduct
The Code4Lib Code of Conduct is in force at every Code4Lib gathering. Please read it, abide by it, and help to enforce it.
Propose your talk below! Add additional bullet point as necessary.
- Pulling Ares Up by its Bootstrap ( I can fill a full 20, but it may be more like 10-15. )
- Making Inter-American Development Bank's (IDB) knowledge and data more findable
Unconference discussion topics
- Best tools for front-end web dev
- Most exciting thing you're working on right now
- Up-and-coming tech that libraries should watch
- NodeJS, Express & SSO Authentication
- ArchiveSpace customization with Java & Ruby
- Linguistic corpora, digital editions, and open annotation -- building better word sandwiches
- Collections as data -- text mining, bibliometrics, visualization, etc.
- Add your own here!
- UMD's Digital Preservation Cost Calculator
- Hands-on with the Fedora API Extension Architecture -- using the demo, participants will sit together and work individually to learn about deployment and use of API-X in conjunction with Fedora Commons. If everyone feels comfortable enough with the basics, we can try to design and implement our own extension (for example, OCR on demand with tesseract). If you are interested in participating in this activity, please bring a laptop with Docker installed in advance of the meeting (see the demo instructions for pointers).
- Twitter bots for everyone -- basic Python Twitter bot for turning XML into tweets
- Add your own here!
(Please add your name if you are planning to attend and are able to help!)
- David Durden, University of Maryland Libraries - Primary Contact
- Joseph Koivisto, University of Maryland Libraries - Secondary Contact
- Tiffany Schoneboom, University of Maryland Libraries - Secondary Contact
- Kyle Breneman, University of Baltimore Library - Secondary Contact
- Neil Frau-Cortes, University of Maryland Libraries - Secondary Contact
- Add your name here!
The Libraries have posted driving directions for getting to campus. In addition, a comprehensive overview of travel options is available from the campus office of conference and visitor services. Once you have arrived on campus, this campus map will help you locate the library (D10 - #035 ). There is a College Park metro stop on the green line, which is served by shuttle bus #104 to campus approximately every 10 minutes.
There is ample parking on campus for a daily maximum of $15.00.
A covered guest lot that is convenient to the Library is the Regents Drive Garage (#202 on the map mentioned above). There is a large swim event taking place on North Campus which will take over a lot of central and northern guest parking. UMD Department of Transportation Services recommends that attendees arriving by car park in either the Mowatt Lane Garage (rooftop) or Lot MV next to Mowatt Lane Garage (D12 - #404 on the map). Additional parking may be available in the Stadium Drive Garage (C8 - #218), but this garage may become crowded due to the swim meet. All visitors should avoid attempting to park in the Union Lane Garage off Campus Dr (D9 - #179) since it is currently out of service and closed to the public.
An alternate parking option is to use the College Park Metro parking lot and to use the University of Maryland shuttle bus #104.
Full information on guest parking options is available on the conference and visitor services site. *Please note*: parking services is very vigilant and quick to ticket, so please make sure that you pay for your parking space at the pay station (look to the signage in the lots for instructions).
Via US-1 (Baltimore Ave)
Turn west onto Knox Rd and continue onto Mowatt Ln. Turn right onto Preinkert Dr and Mowatt Ln Garage and Lot MV are on the left.
Via MD-193 or Adelphi Rd
Turn onto Campus Dr and take the first exit at the roundabout onto Mowatt Ln. Turn left onto Preinkert Dr and Mowatt Ln Garage and Lot MV are on the left.
The College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, 3501 University Blvd E is the most convenient lodging to the library, and is within an easy 10 minute walk. Other hotels, including some less expensive options, are located on Route 1 on the other side of campus, 1-2 miles away from the library. This map shows some of the nearby options.
Tentative schedule, subject to alteration by participants on the day of the event
|8:30-9:00||Welcome and Introductions|
|9:00-11:30||Hackathons and workshops|
|11:30-1:00||Lunch Break (groups)|
|1:00-5:00||Talks and discussions|
|5:00-?||Happy hour at MilkBoy Arthouse|