Welcome to the home of the new Ontario/Canada chapter of Code4Lib. Our aim is to create more opportunities for Code4Lib folks in the Ontario/Quebec/Manitoba/Northeast USA area to meet up in person.
I happen to came across onto this blog and it is a properly written write up, a little on the long end of the read but pretty satisfactory one.
Second Meeting: ???
To be planned and decided. Speak up if you're interested or want to volunteer.
I'd like to propose:
Code4lib North Pub Night Meetup in Ottawa, Ontario
- Dates: Either Friday the 17th or Saturday the 18th of September, 2010
- Locations: I'm open to other suggestions, here are mine for the moment:
- The Exchange Pub Rideau and Sussex St.
- D'Arcy McGee's Sparks st. and Elgin St.
- Time: 5-7
Laptops, demos, problems, topics of discussion welcome!
Purpose: To connect with other code4libers in the area and start building a strong code4lib community North of the border. Or for me (selfishly) to meet other cool people who may have gone to the first meeting ;)
Comments/suggestions/interested in helping? Let me know via the discussion page.
Thanks! --Bethmaru 20:08, 5 August 2010 (PDT)
First Meeting: Kingston ON, 6 -7 May 2010
Free registration -- but registration is now closed (we have 40+ signed up).
When and Where
May 6-7, 2010
- Thursday: 2pm-5:30pm, followed by dinner and drinks
- Friday: 9am-4:30pm
- 93 University Ave, Queen's University, Kingston Ontario (map)
- Meeting room: 1966 North Reading Room, Level 7, Douglas Library Building (floorplan) - located on the top floor, just follow the signs to find the room.
There was no charge. Queen's University very generously supplied the space, the Internet connection, and free lunch on Friday!
How to get involved
Join the mailing list. That is where the planning will happen.
- 5-minute lighting talks
- 20-minute talks
- BOAF sessions
- Maybe a hackfest.
How many are attending?
45 people have registered. Most will be attending.
Thursday May 6:
- 2pm-5pm: Open format (hang out and hack)
- Evening: Go out for dinner and drinks
- 9am-4:30pm: Schedule currently "under construction" -- see table below.
Morning Break: 10:30-10:45 .... Lunch: 12-1 ....
Afternoon: 5 minute lightning talks .... "Birds of a feather" breakout sessions (sign up sheets on front table)
|Walter Lewis||Exposing Linked Data|
|Art Rhyno||Open Layers and Newspapers (Walter Lewis)|
|MJ Suhonos||Location-aware Mobile Search|
|Alan Harnum||Building A Library Website with Endeca technology|
|Wendy Huot||"Your feedback, please": library web design critique|
|Glen Newton||Using Open Source Tools for Visualization and Semantic Mapping in a Large Scale Article Digital Library|
|John Miedema||OpenBook WordPress Plugin Update - Why It's Cool to Love OpenURL +++|
|Nasser Saleh||Coagmento!: a potential collaborative search tool|
Who's interested in Code4Lib North?
Declare your interest in a Code4lib North chapter:
- Wendy Huot, Queen's University
- Michael Vandenburg, Queen's University
- William Denton, York University
- John Fink, McMaster University
- Nick Ruest, McMaster University
- Walter Lewis, Halton Hills/OurOntario
- Edward Corrado, Binghamton University (NY, USA)
- Warren Layton, Natural Resources Canada (Ottawa)
- Pascal Calarco, University of Notre Dame (IN, USA)
- Rob Fox, University of Notre Dame (IN, USA)
- Mita Williams, University of Windsor
- John Fereira, Cornell University
- MJ Suhonos, Toronto Public Library
- Dianne Dietrich, Cornell University
- David Fiander, University of Western Ontario
- Peter Schlumpf, Avanti Library Systems
- Roy Zimmer, Western Michigan University
- Kimberly Silk, Martin Prosperity Institute, University of Toronto
- Andrew Darby, Ithaca College (Ithaca, NY)
- Laura Harris, Grand Valley State University (western Michigan)
- Tim Ribaric, Brock University
- Sibyl Schaefer, University of Vermont
- Peter Ellinger, Ontario Legislative Library, Toronto
- Keith Jenkins, Cornell University
- Patrick M. Lozeau
- Mike Kreyche, Kent State University
- Graham McCarthy, Ryerson University
- John Miedema
- Janey Chen, Ontario Legislative Library, Toronto
- Rob McDonald, Carleton University
- Amy Buckland, McGill University
- Tricia Williams (pgwillia), Consultant/OurOntario
- Mike Beccaria, Paul Smith's College (Paul Smiths, NY)
- Amanda Etches-Johnson, McMaster University
- Art Rhyno, University of Windsor
- Mary Beth Baker, CIC (Ottawa)
- Wayne Schneider, Hennepin County Library
- Carol Serroul, CISTI
- Graham Stewart, University of Toronto Libraries
- Peter Zimmerman, University of Windsor
- Margaret Kipp, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
- Dan Scott, Laurentian University
- Lawrence Wardroper (Coursts Administration Services Library, Ottawa)
- Matt McCollow, McMaster University
- George Duimovich, NRCan Library (Ottawa)
- Bobbi Fox, Harvard University Library (Massachusetts)
- Dileshni Jayasinghe, OCUL, University of Toronto
- Eric Palmitesta, OCUL, University of Toronto
- Alexander O'Neill, Robertson Library, University of Prince Edward Island
- Chris Beer, WGBH (Massachusetts)
- Robin Isard, Algoma University (Sault Ste Marie ON)
- Pat Moore, Carleton University (Ottawa ON)
- Alan Harnum, Toronto Public LIbrary (Toronto ON)
- Colin Prince, University of Toronto Libraries
- Tom Keays, Syracuse University LIbrary (Syracuse, NY)
- Chris Charles, University of Guelph (Guelph, ON)
- John MacGillivray, Carleton University (Ottawa ON)
- Lester Webb, Kingston Frontenac Public Library (Kingston ON)
- Elizabeth Goldman, Kingston Frontenac Public Library (Kingston ON)
- Jennifer O'Donnell, Kingston Frontenac Public Library (Kingston ON)
- David Smith, Kingston Frontenac Public Library (Kingston ON)
- Loren Fantin, Our Ontario,Knowledge Ontario
- Daulton Theodore, Carleton University (Ottawa, ON)
- Peter MacDonald, Hamilton College (Clinton, NY)
- Rebecca Larocque, North Bay Public Library (North Bay, ON)
- Doris Rankin, Library and Information Management Consultant, Ottawa, ON
- Diane Bédard, Learn Ontario & Our Ontario; Knowledge Ontario
- Andre Vellino, CISTI / University of Ottawa
- Mark Swartz, Queen's University
- Adam Wead, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Library and Archives (Cleveland, OH)
- Pramila Thakur, Ontario Legislative Library, Toronto
- Anthony Petryk, Carleton University
- Jan Dawson, Ask Ontario, Knowledge Ontario
- Glen Newton, Carleton University
- Patrick McMaster, Leeds & the 1000 Islands, Rideau Lakes, and North Grenville Public Libraries
- Nasser Saleh, Queen's University (Kingston ON)
Meeting Location Suggestions for the Future
- Toronto, Ontario
- Sudbury, Ontario
- Ottawa, Ontario
- Montreal, Quebec