Second meeting agenda
Google hangout, October 7th, 1 PM Eastern time
- Voting mechanism
- Get responses from LPC
- Allyship Preconference Question
- Get responses from LPC
Second Meeting Notes
Updates from Christina
- Form was sent out - hooray!
- Taking responses until November 11/15
- Request from Luke to share email generation script
- We can do whatever we want in this regard (Anna)
- Multiple systems available for vote counting
- Decide what is most useful for the committee and go with that
- Can't just do voting based on what is most popular because of concurrent sessions
- Data does not need to be distributed, does not need to be in a structured format
- Have to make sure that people know they are not actually signing up for a pre-conference session, only an expression of interest
- Options: wiki sign up, Google Form, etc.
- Wiki is a backup plan
- Explore Google form option through testing
- Look at other possible voting mechanisms and communicate via email
- Christina will set up a test Google Form
- Anna communicated that the LPC is responsible for making this decision
- General sense that we'd like it to happen but that logistics are a problem
- Drupal pre-con in Raleigh that required a registration fee?
- Background Info
- Pull request to create specific policies for Code of Conduct
- comment thread had a suggestion for training that would be useful to committees
- LPC began to explore options
- Sponsorship committee will continue to solicit potential sponsors
- LPC will contact presenter
- Wait to see what the main committee decides
- Send pre-conference proposal reminder one week ahead of deadline: 11/9
- Everyone will send to the same email lists as for the inital CFP
- Meet again shortly after deadline: 11/16 1PM Eastern
First meeting notes
- Group documentarian
- Christina for this meeting; someone else in the future (to be determined at start of each meeting)
- Registration Opening Date: Target date to open registration is Dec 10th. However that may be pushed back to early January depending on how firm the budget numbers are. This should not change our plans to have ready list of pre-conferences by December 10th. See the main trello for more info: trello 'master schedule' and other information workspace: https://trello.com/b/rTeC8Bgx/master-planning-schedule
- Proposal Form: Proposals to be accepted this year via Google Form. Google form instructions forthcoming from Anna. The Google Form will be structured following the wiki page proposal format seen here http://wiki.code4lib.org/2016_Preconference_Proposals , with an additional space for presentation needs, and that wiki page will be deleted once the form is made. Christina will make a draft and give to the group for review before putting updated link in the Call text. The updated Call text will also be shared with the group at that time for review. Once proposals form and call are reviewed and approved by group, we will each claim a listserv to email the call to. This will be that person's listserv for further emails throughout rest of organizing work.
- Voting: Mechanism to be determined. The Dieboldatron had some issues with structure of preconference proposals - wanted to have broken into AM/PM/Full day; need yes/no voting (or pick top AM, top PM, or top all-day) instead of 0-3 ranking. We will need at least a business week (5 days) of voting to gauge interest, make decisions if there are space constraints. At present, the default is to take the Proposals from the Google form backend and put in some structured way into the wiki, then have people add their names there.
- Accepted timeframe:
- Week of 9/30: Call for proposals sent, immediately post group review of draft Google form for proposals, review of updated Call text.
- 11/15: Proposals deadline - Midnight PST.
- 11/16-11/24: Current plan: migrate proposals from Google form backend to structure on the wiki, have voting occur there through 'add your name to what you want to attend'.
- 12/1-12/5: Confirm selected sessions along with needs, space, etc with session leaders
- 12/5: Have pre-conference schedule in place for public view
- Preconference spaces
- Overview of space will equal how many sessions can we accept: Looking primarily as using a volunteered small conference center (CHF?) a few blocks from the hotel. This conference center offers free A/V. The hotel has some rooms, but we will need to pay for A/V. Finally, there is a (1) lecture hall a few more blocks away at the American Philosophical Society that is available for use too. Anna will get us details on the spaces for helping sort proposals as they start to come in. Depending on space issues and the number of proposals, we will see if we need to actually not accept any proposals.
- Will we need registration limits (and how to determine this in registration page) - see above. Confirmed that there will be spaces held for all preconference leaders to register.
- What will presenters need to bring (projects, computers, etc.) - will be added to the google form (see above) then touched on further in confirmation process.
- Allyship session - Ada Initiative Ally Training
- Participation interest - if the organizer of this event wants to send out separate interest, we are okay with that. Uncertainty however about us officially sending out an email asking about interest for this one preconference separate from regular preconference proposal and voting procedure. Noted: agreement amongst ourselves that is it impossible to tell definite interest in this session until there is a full list of pre-conferences available, as people will change their minds/move aboue. Will defer to the main organizing committee.
- Extra fee / Sponsorship - we are fine with charging an extra fee for this session if the proposal is accepted/LPC decides to hold as code4lib sponsored or special event. Will need to fall to the registration team.
- Overall preference: if the organizer of this event was to get sponsorship to cover costs, then put in a proposal following the normal route above, that would be easiest. Additionally, putting in a proposal then asking extra money be charged in the registration, that's okay but not preferred (as it runs the possibility that the Code4lib org will be stuck paying the remainder if turnout doesn't hit a certain number). However, the preconf group is ready to defer on this question to the decision of the main organizing committee.
Text of call for proposals - to be updated following this meeting and creation of the proposal form.
Subject line: Call for Code4Lib 2016 Pre-Conference Proposals
Text: Code4Lib 2015 Pre-Conference Proposals:
We are now accepting pre-conference proposals for the 2016 Code4Lib in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - read more about the conference here: http://2016.code4lib.org/. These pre-conferences can either be a 1-day or a 1/2-day session and will occur on Monday, March 7, 2016.
To propose a session, please add the proposal to this wiki page directly, following the proposal formatting guidelines: http://wiki.code4lib.org/2016_Preconference_Proposals If you cannot or do not wish to edit the wiki directly, you can email one of us listed below your proposal and we will add it for you.
We are taking proposals until November 15th, and we hope to confirm sessions with the leaders starting November 21st.
If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to email us.
Best, Names, Emails of pre-conf committee
- send google forms information
- send list of spaces, other space info
- take this group's thought re: allyship preconf, voting issues, back to LPC
- Post notes
- Get proposal form made based off of wiki, share with group
- Get updated call for proposals text, share with group
- review above info, form, call for proposals this week
- tell group which listservs you'll be contact person for