Southeast 2018 Code of Conduct
Code4Lib Southeast 2018 is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
- Any behavior that threatens another person or group, or produces an unsafe environment.
- Offensive comments or non-verbal expressions related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Discriminatory images in public spaces.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
This code of conduct applies to all Code4Lib Southeast 2018 community spaces, both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the conference organizers.
If you experience harassment at Code4Lib Southeast 2018 or on any of its digital properties, or have any other concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to an event organizer.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender, expulsion from the Code4LibSE 2018 event, or banning the offender from a chatroom or mailing list.
Specific sanctions may include but are not limited to:
- warning the harasser to cease their behavior and that any further reports will result in other sanctions
- requiring that the harasser avoid any interaction with, and physical proximity to, their victim for the remainder of the event
- early termination of a talk that violates the policy
- not publishing the video or slides of a talk that violated the policy
- not allowing a speaker who violated the policy to give (further) talks at the event
- immediately ending any event volunteer responsibilities and privileges the harasser holds requiring that the harasser not volunteer for future Code4lib events (either indefinitely or for a certain time period)
- requiring that the harasser immediately leave the event and not return
- banning the harasser from future events (either indefinitely or for a certain time period)
- publishing an account of the harassment
We expect participants to follow these rules at all conference venues, conference-related social events, community gatherings, and online communication channels.
Based on the example policy from the [Geek Feminism wiki https://geekfeminism.org/about/code-of-conduct/], and the policy from [Code4Lib 2017 https://github.com/code4lib/antiharassment-policy/blob/master/code_of_conduct.md].