FCIG Meeting 2016 10 14
- Galen Charlton
- Morgan McKeehan
- Eric Lease Morgan
- Beatrice Pulliam
- CLIR has responded favorably to Morgan's initial query about whether they might be willing to act as fiscal host. Morgan and Galen will work together on follow-up questions.
- There was a discussion of Galen's meeting with an attorney, who outlined costs and process for what it would take to establish a nonprofit entity for Code4Lib. Some key points:
- It would take between $5,000 and $10,000 in legal and filing fees to set up a tax-exempt nonprofit; money can be saved if Code4Lib members with relevant experience volunteer to help complete paperwork
- The attorney suggested that the nonprofit be a membership organization. One variation would be having all members be automatically on the board, which would allow major decisions to be made by direct votes. The by-laws can be written to allow this while setting quorum requirements and officer responsibilities appropriately so that day-to-day work can proceed efficiently.
- We are setting a deadline of mid-November for ourselves to make our report and recommendations to the greater Code4Lib community, with the notion that we would hold a Q&A session at the 2017 conference, followed by a community vote on next steps.
- Morgan and Galen will collaborate on putting together questions to send to CLIR
- Morgan will look into Open Repositories, which CLIR sponsors
- Morgan will create document to start outlining the IG's report & recommendation; Beatrice volunteered to assist
- Galen will secure time on the schedule at the 2017 conference