=== Newcomer Dinner, Monday 3/24 ===
First time at code4lib? Join fellow c4l newbies and veterans for an evening of food, socializing, and stimulating <strike>discussions about</strike> demonstrations of the many uses of <strike>bacon
</strike> <strike>dongles</strike> <strike>XML</strike> EZProxy alternatives.
Code4Lib veterans, you're invited too. Join us in welcoming the newcomers!
***Make reservations if required; otherwise make sure that the restaurant can handle a group of 6 rowdy library tech type folks
***Herd folks from hotel to restaurant (know where you're going!)
list coming soon )
=== James B. Hunt Library Reception and Tour, Tuesday 3/25 ===
A reception and tour of the James B. Hunt Library on NCSU's Centennial Campus will take place on Tuesday, March
26, 5:00-7:30 PM. The Library, which opened in January 2013, [ fill in more background here]. See the library through the eyes of our students in the over 3,000 Instagram photos in the [http://d.lib.ncsu.edu/myhuntlibrary My #HuntLibrary] project. The furniture alone has generated interest, as shown on the [http://chairsofhuntlibrary.tumblr.com/ Chairs of Hunt Library] Tumbler site .
'''Travel to Hunt'''
Buses will begin loading at the Sheraton at 5:00 PM after the day's sessions have concluded. The Hunt Library is 4 miles from the Sheraton.
light snacks will be made available in the Multipurpose Room, along with soft drinks and beer from the [http://www.ncsu.edu/foodscience/Sheppard/NCSU-12004%20Brewery%20Brochure1.pdf NC State Brewery].
Attendees will be welcome to embark on a self-guided tour of the library. Library staff will be on hand at selected locations, including hi-tech spaces such as the [http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/huntlibrary/bookBot bookBot] robotic book delivery system, the [http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/spaces/teaching-and-visualization-lab Teaching & Visualization Lab], the [http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/spaces/creativity-studio Creativity Studio], the [http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/spaces/game-lab Game Lab], and the [http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/spaces/makerspace Makerspace].
'''Travel back to the Sheraton'''
Buses will begin to load for the return trip at 6:45 PM. The last bus will leave the Hunt Library at approximately 7:
=== A/V Geeks Present: When Computers Were Young, Wednesday 3/26 ===
[http://www.avgeeks.com/wp2/ A/V Geeks] maintains a collection of over 23,000 old 16mm educational films from various decades of the 20th century, many obtained from school and government auctions. Media archaeologist [http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/skip-elsheimer/Content?oid=1183990 Skip Elsheimer] holds themed showings of selected films at events around the Triangle and in other states.
This event, [http://kingsbarcade.com/2014/03/26/av-geeks-present-when-computers-where-young/ When Computers Were Young], will include "Actual 16mm school films that introduce us to the wonderful world of computers and their potential future -- all before Google!" Films will include Disney's Ethics in the Computer Age and more. This showing is
a public event that is part of a series of monthly shows held at [http://kingsbarcade.com/ Kings Barcade], but the event has been scheduled and themed with the Code4Lib crowd in mind.
The event is free with a suggested $5 donation. Kings, which is two blocks from the Sheraton, is a 250-capacity live music venue with a full bar and several local beers on tap. Kings is directly connected with the [http://neptunesparlour.com/ Neptunes Parlour], a cocktail lounge with classic arcade games, pinball, and nightly DJ's. The new [http://garlandraleigh.com/ Garland] Indian restaurant is also downstairs.
== Social Map - Places of Interest==
[https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211601269129937460559.0004d8d5902e5e3d04b05&msa=0&ll=35.782519,-78.640223&spn=0.01464,0.01929 Code4Lib 2014 Amenities Map, Downtown Raleigh, NC] - Amenities that are within walking distance of the Sheraton or the R Line circulator
== Local Events ==
*North Carolina Museum of
History Exhibit - [http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/event/exhibit-opening-cedars-in-the-pines Cedars in the Pines]
== Local Food ==
'''Fayetteville St. District''' (0-0.4 miles north)
ac-restaurants.com/ beasleys/ Beasley's Chicken & Honey] Fried Chicken, Chicken and Waffles ( ''Ashley Christiansen'')
* [http://garlandraleigh.com/ Garland] Indian
* [http://www.sonoraleigh.com/ Sono] Sushi
* [http://www.capitalclub16.com/Capital_Club_16/Home.html Capital Club 16] Eclectic pub grub
* [http://www.boltbistro.com/ Bolt] Bistro, Steakhouse, Seafood
* [http://sitti-raleigh.com/ Sitti] Lebanese
* [http://ororaleigh.com/ Oro] Tapas (vegan options)
* [http://www.gravyraleigh.com/ Gravy] Italian-American
gravyraleigh.com/ Buku] Global street food
'''Moore Square''' (0.3-0.5 miles east)
* [http://thefictionkitchen.com/ Fiction Kitchen] Veg*n
* [http://ac-restaurants.com/pooles/ Poole's Diner] American/Diner (''Ashley Christiansen'')
* [http://humblepierestaurant.com/ Humble Pie] Tapas (Live jazz on Wed.)
* [http://www.heatseekershrimp.com/ Five Star] Asian (Traditional and creative)
* [http://roastgrill.com/ Roast Grill] Just hot dogs
'''Glenwood South''' (0.6-1.3 miles northwest)
* [http://www.18seaboard.com/ Seaboard Station] Southern, American (New)
* [http://jbetskis.com/ J. Betskis] Central & Eastern European
* [http://piebirdraleigh.com/ Piebird] Sweet and savory pies
* [http://stationraleigh.com/ The Station] American (Traditional)
* [http://lillyspizza.com/ Lilly's Pizza] Pizza and beer
* [http://guasaca.com/ Guasaca] Venezuelan (6 miles)
=== Desserts ===
=== Coffee ===
* [http://morningtimes-raleigh.com/ Morning Times] (wifi)* [http://ac-restaurants.com/joule/ Joule Coffee] (''Ashley Christiansen'', wifi)* [http://beneluxcoffee.com/ Benelux Coffee] (wifi)* [http://www.cafemuertos.com/ Cafe de los Muertos] (wifi)* [http://www.cafehelios.com/ Cafe Helios] (wifi)
== Local Drinks ==
'''Fayetteville St. District'''
* [http://www.raleightimesbar.com/ Raleigh Times]
(Draft Magazine Top 100 beer bar )* [http://www.busybeeraleigh.com/ Busy Bee] (Draft Magazine Top 100 beer bar , The Hive is upstairs)* [http://foundationnc.com/ Foundation] (Cocktails, bourbon, local beer )* [http://neptunesparlour.com/ Neptunes Parlour] (Cocktails, local beer )* [http://ac-restaurants.com/fox/ Fox Liquor Bar] (Cocktails, local beer , ''Ashley Christiansen'')
* [http://www.yelp.com/biz/landmark-tavern-raleigh Landmark Tavern]
(beer, back patio )* [http://www.tnnirishpub.com/ Tir Na Nog] (Irish pub )* [http://calaveraraleigh.com/ Calavera] (Empanadas and 40 tequila varieties )* [http://woodyscitymarket.com/ Woody's] (Beer and wings )
* [http://brewmastersbarandgrill.com/ Brewmasters]
(Grill, 2012 Draft Magazine Top 100 beer bar )* [http://www.crankarmbrewing.com/ Crank Arm Brewing] (Brewpub )* [http://www.beerknurd.com/stores/raleigh/ Flying Saucer] (Beer )* [http://boylanbridge.com/ Boylan Bridge Brewpub] (Brewpub )
* [http://www.cgracebar.com/ C Grace]
(cocktails and live jazz )* [http://clockworkraleigh.com/ Clockwork] (retro cocktail lounge )
'''Seaboard Station/Person St.'''
* [http://www.tylerstaproom.com/ Tyler's Tap Room ]
=== Breweries ===
* [http://trophybrewing.com/ Trophy Brewing & Pizza Company] (1.2 miles)
Theoretical brewpub walking tour] [NOTE: Trophy has great pizza but limited seating. To finish with dinner consider going the opposite direction and eating in the Warehouse District or downtown]
* [http://bigbossbrewing.com/ Big Boss Brewing] (3.5 miles, Raleigh)
* [http://raleighbrewingcompany.com/ Raleigh Brewing Company] (4 miles, Raleigh)
* [http://www.loneriderbeer.com/ Lone Rider] (13 miles, Raleigh)
* [http://gizmobrewworks.com/ Gizmo Brewworks] (12 miles, Raleigh)
* [http://www.aviatorbrew.com/ Aviator Brewing Company] (17 miles, Fuquay Varina)
* [http://hosannabrewing.com/ Hosanna Brewery] (14 miles, Fuquay Varina)
* [http://www.carolinabrew.com/ Carolina Brewing] (19 miles, Holly Springs)
* [http://www.bombshellbeer.com/ Bombshell Beer] (18 miles, Holly Springs)
* [http://bullcityburgerandbrewery.com/Bull_City_Burger_and_Brewery/Home.html Bull City Burger & Brewing] (Durham)
* [http://thetopofthehill.com/ Top of the Hill] (Chapel Hill)
* [http://www.mysterybrewing.com/ Mystery Brewing] (Hillsborough)
==Raleigh Events March 23-27==
===Sunday March 23===
** If anyone else is crazy enough to pay the money for tickets email rosalynmetz [at] the gmail
* Another basketball game - [http://www.visitraleigh.com/includes/calendar-of-events/Cary-Invasion-vs-East-Carolina-Stealth/26414/ Cary Invasion vs. East Carolina Stealth], 6 pm
* [http://www.visitraleigh.com/includes/calendar-of-events/Civil-Rights-Through-Song/25383/ Civil Rights Through Song], 2 pm
* Romeo and Juliet - Carolina Ballet at [http://www.dukeenergycenterraleigh.com/event/carolina-ballet-private-event-3340 Fletcher Opera Theater]
===Monday March 24===
===Tuesday, March 25===
* [http://www.visitraleigh.com/includes/calendar-of-events/NHL-Carolina-Hurricanes-vs-New-York-Islanders/24787/ NHL Carolina Hurricanes vs. New York Islanders], 7pm
===Wednesday, March 26===
===Thursday, March 27===
== Music ==
'''Sunday March 23'''
* [http://www.thepourhousemusichall.com/event/447527-matt-schofield-raleigh/ Matt Schofield] at [http://www.
thepourhousemusichall.com/ Pour House]
'''Monday March 24'''
* [http://www.dpacnc.com/events/detail/csn Crosby, Stills & Nash] at
[http://www.dpacnc.com/ Durham Performing Arts Center ] (in Durham)* [http:// kingsbarcade.com/ 2014/ 03/24/moullinex- live-with-marbeya-sound/ Moulinex with Marbeya Sound] at [http://kingsbarcade.com/ Kings Barcade]* Devils Wears Prada with Ghost Inside, others at [http://www.lincolntheatre.com/schedule.htm Lincoln Theater]
'''Tuesday March 25'''
* Open Mic Night at [http://www.deepsouththebar.com/ Deep South]
* [http://www.thepourhousemusichall.com/event/479771-pigeons-playing-ping-pong-raleigh/ Pigeons Playing Ping Pong] and Imperial Blend at [http://www.thepourhousemusichall.com/ Pour House]
* Free Jazz Night at [http://humblepierestaurant.com/ Humble Pie]
* Open Mic Night at [http://www.deepsouththebar.com/ Deep South]
* Local Beer/Local Band night at [http://www.tnnirishpub.com/ Tir Na Nog]
* Sarah Colonna (Comedy) at [https://center-stage.seatengine.com/venues/goodnights Goodnight's Comedy]