Changes

Jump to: navigation, search

BC

16,714 bytes removed, 20:45, 11 December 2018
no edit summary
Begun in Summer 2013, this chapter aims to create connections and professional development opportunities for folks from British Columbia and surrounding areas.
== '''Second Annual Code4lib BC Event''' ==
== '''WhenSixth Annual Code4lib BC Unconference 2018''': November 27 and 28, 2014==
'''WhereSave the dates!''': SFU Harbour Centre, Vancouver, BC [http://goo.gl/maps/iyC0j map]
'''Cost''': $20*Thursday, 29 November and Friday, 30 November
This year's C4LBC will be held in Nanaimo, BC, and jointly hosted by the University of Vancouver Island and Vancouver Island Regional Library. Again! The Thursday events will be held in downtown Nanaimo at VIRL's Harbourfront Branch. Friday'Accommodationss activities will be held the the VIU campus. This year''': Info coming soons organisers are trying hard to make everything as easy as possible for mainlanders travelling to the island, so stay tuned for details on transportation, accommodations, and much more.
'''Register here'''[https: **//www.eventbrite link here**.ca/e/2018-code4libbc-unconference-vancouver-island-tickets-50429527073 Registration is now open!]
'''=== What''': It’s a 2 day unconference! A participant-driven meeting featuring lightning talks in the mornings, breakout sessions in the afternoons, with coffee, tea and snacks provided. Lightning talks are brief presentations which are typically 5-10 minutes in length (15 minutes is the maximum) on topics related to library technologies: current projects, tips and tricks, or hacks in the works. Breakout sessions is an opportunity to bring participants together in an ad hoc fashion for a short, yet sustained period of problem solving, software development and fun. In advance of the event, we will gather project ideas in a form available through our wiki and registration pages. Each afternoon the code4libBC participants will review and discuss the proposals, break into groups, and work on some of the projects.s it all about? ===
It'''Who''': A s a 2-day unconference - a participant-driven meeting bringing together a diverse and open community of library developers and non-developers engaging in effective, collaborative problem-solving through technology.Anyone from the library community who is interested in library technologies are welcome to join and participate, regardless of their department or background: systems and IT, public services, circulation, cataloguing and technical services, archives, digitization and preservation. All are welcome to help set the agenda, define the outcomes and develop the deliverables!
'''Why''': Why not? code4libBC The event will feature lightning talks, breakout sessions, with coffee, tea and snacks provided. Lightning talks are brief presentations which are typically 10 minutes in length on topics related to library technologies. Breakout sessions are an opportunity to bring participants together in an ad hoc fashion for a short, yet sustained period of problem solving, software development and fun. If there is a group neat project you're been working on, a cool new tool you want to show off, or an interesting development in the world of dynamic library technology practitioners throughout the province who that you want to build new relationships as much as develop new software solutions discuss, Code4Lib BC is a great opportunity to problems.share with the community!
'''Tag dWhat'hashs included''': #c4lbcwifi, power, coffee/snacks, lunches, prizes, limited transportation from downtown Nanaimo to VIU campus.
If you’re ready '''What's NOT included/what to get your hands dirty with library technology practitionersbring''': a laptop, join us!dinner, your ideas and enthusiasm.
'''Code of ConductHashtag''': As a Code4Lib event, we adhere to the Code4Lib Code of Conduct, which seeks to provide a welcoming, harassment-free environment. Please see the [http://bit.ly/coc4lib Code of Conduct] for further details.#c4lbc
'''SponsorshipCode of Conduct''': We will be relying on the support of sponsors to rent space in Harbour CentreAs a Code4Lib event, subsidize the cost of wireless and we adhere to help keep the registration costs affordable[http://bit. Sponsors will enjoy many benefitsly/coc4lib Code4Lib Code of Conduct], including full recognition in promotional materials and wide exposure among code4libBC attendeeswhich seeks to provide a welcoming, harassment-free environment. This year's conference offers three levels of sponsorship:* Room sponsorship* Wireless sponsorship* Coffee break sponsorship
Our second annual code4libBC event could not have been made possible without the generous financial support of:* BC Libraries Coop* Surrey Public Library* University of British Columbia* University of Victoria=== Sponsors ===
And special thanks While Code4libBC no longer solicits sponsorship, we want to acknowledge the BC Libraries Cooperative for assisting the organizing group with administrative duties.contributions by our hosts:
'''Organizers'''* [http: Also thanks to all our organizers//http://virl.bc.ca/ Vancouver Island Regional Library], and* Paul Joseph (Chair)* Caroline Daniels* Cynthia Ng* Gordon Coleman* Jeff Davis* Mark Jordan* Shirley Lew* Trish Mau* Tara Robertson* Tamarack Hockin[https://library.viu.ca/ Vancouver Island University Library],
Feel free to email Paul Joseph at paulas well as continued administrative and fiscal support from the [https://bc.joseph@ubclibraries.ca with questions or commentscoop/ BC Libraries Cooperative].
'''===Lightning Talk Proposals and Hackfest/Breakout Suggestions''': Submit them **link to come**. ===
=== Schedule ===Is there a neat project you've been working on, a cool new tool you want to show off, or an interesting development in the world of library technology that you want to discuss?
==== Thursday ===={|| 9:00 || Welcome & Announcements|-| 9:15 || Lightning Talks|-| 10:30 || Coffee break|-| 11:30 || Lunch (On Your Own) Submit your [httphttps://eg2013goo.sitka.bclibraries.cagl/social-eventsforms/#thursday-lunch Suggestions477mUwdPWj7qCCVk2 lightning talk/breakout suggestion]|-| 1:00 || Breakout Sessions|-| 3:15 || Break|-| 3:30 || Breakout Reports|-| 5:00 || Social|}
==== Friday ===={|| 9:00 || Announcements|-| 9:15 || Lightning Talks|-| 10:30 || Coffee break|-| 11:30 || Lunch (On Your Own) See what's already been [httphttps://eg2013drive.sitkagoogle.bclibraries.cacom/socialopen?id=1IooK5wBd7JinNnNVdrh9dV_e5XgMfEqVZ3WDWesz-events/#thursday-lunch Suggestionst0 submitted]|-| 1:00 || Breakout Sessions|-| 3:15 || Break|-| 3:30 || Breakout Reports|-| 4:00 || End of Day|}
=== '''Lightning Talk Proposals''' Food/Transportation===
Do you have dietary restrictions? Let us know when you register.
=== '''Breakout Suggestions''' ===Are you traveling from Victoria or the Lower Mainland? Are you interested in sharing transportation? Please contact: *carpool from Victoria to Nanaimo please contact Charles Hogg at charles.hogg@leg.bc.ca.*carpool from Lower Mainland to Nanaimo please contact James Fournie at jfournie@vcc.ca.
= Past Events =Transportation to Nanaimo from the mainland is best made by ferry to Departure Bay, or by seaplane/helijet *[http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/hbna-current.php BC ferries from West Van to Departure Bay]. If you are interested in carpooling from the Vancouver area, please let us know.*[http://www.seairseaplanes.com/schedules Seair Seaplanes to Nanaimo] from YVR or downtown Vancouver (Flights can be delayed due to weather this time of year)*[http://www.harbourair.com/book-a-flight/locations/nanaimo/ Harbour Air Seaplanes to Nanaimo] from YVR or downtown Vancouver (Flights can be delayed to due weather this time of year)*[http://helijet.com/helijet-introduces-nanaimo-vancouver-flights/ Helijet to Nanaimo] from YVR or downtown Vancouver.*[http://www.tofinobus.com/ Tofino Bus] and [https://www.islandlinkbus.com/ IslandLinkBus] from Victoria and Other Island Locations to Nanaimo.
This year were are please to offer a draw for a chance to win one of two travel bursaries [$300 each]. One for a student, one for a non-student: [https://drive.google.com/open?id== 1CA7MCh63ko70LVdEPFkq6IiGryKQifR7DkMeVgsH7-Q Enter the Bursary Draw]. '''2014 Code4lib BC Spring WorkshopsBursary update:''' ==The draw is now closed. Congratulations to this year's bursary recipients: Kristen Allford and Paul Burry!
=== General Info Accommodations===
'''When'''The [https: Friday, May 2, 2014//www.coasthotels.com/hotels/bc/nanaimo/coast-bastion-hotel/ Coast Bastion Hotel] has reserved a block of 10 rooms per night at the government rate (Nov 28/29)
'''Cost''': $15 + taxes/fees per workshop (note: lunch is not included)Guests can call 800-663-1144 and quote “Code4Lib” or group code CBI-GFC18933 to book under the block.
'''What''': Four half-day workshops are being offered at two different venues in Downtown Vancouver. See below for further details.  '''Who''': A diverse and open community of library developers and non-developers engaging in effectiveThis block will be held until October 29th, collaborative problem-solving through technology. Anyone from the library community who is interested in library technologies are welcome any remaining rooms will be sent back to join and participate, regardless of their department or background: systems and IT, public services, circulation, cataloguing and technical services, archives, digitization and preservationgeneral inventoryAs a Code4Lib eventAfter that, we adhere to guests can still book under the Code4Lib Code of Conductblock, which seeks to provide a welcoming, harassment-free environmentbut based on general availability. Please see the [http://bit.ly/coc4lib Code of Conduct] for further details. '''Register here''': https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2014-code4lib-bc-spring-workshops-tickets-11107666329 '''''Special thanks to Vancouver Public Library, Simon Fraser University, and the BC Libraries Cooperative for their support in making these workshops possible.''''' === Locations and Schedule === '''At VPL Central (Peter Kaye Room)''' {| | |- | 9:00am-12:00pm || Web/Usability Testing on a budget! / Cynthia Ng |- | 12:00pm-1:00pm || Lunch Break |- | 1:00pm-4:00pm || Introduction to Designing for the Web Today: HTML5, CSS3, and JQuery / Schuyler Lindberg |- | |} '''At SFU Harbour Centre (Room 1500)''' {| | |- | 9:00am-12:00pm || Intro to Python / Alex Garnett |- | 12:00pm-1:00pm || Lunch Break |- | 1:00pm-4:00pm || Intro to Archivematica / Mark Jordan |- | |} === Workshop Descriptions === ==== Web/Usability Testing on a budget! ====''With Cynthia Ng'' * If you take care of even a small part of the website, you want to have some kind of feedback from your users. However, you're just one person, and you have a budget of Comfort Rooms – 2 beds $100. What do you do? This session will give you some hands on practice using a few methods to help you do some usability testing on a low budget117.00* Please bring a laptop, multiple sheets of paper, and at least one penSuperior Rooms – 2 Bed or 1 Queen bed $127.00* Resources: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11wHoD6fO8WCdVJaH9iNTfce8_qK6JefHYhSUuXqOQjg/edit?usp=sharing ''Cynthia Ng is currently on contract as an Accessibility Librarian at the Centre for Accessible Post-secondary Education Resources BC (CAPER-BC) housed at Langara College. She takes a holistic approach with focus on users to improve library websites. She also frequently volunteers as a mentor at technology events.'' ==== Introduction to Designing for the Web Today: HTML5, CSS3, and JQuery ====''With Schuyler Lindberg'' * A practical introduction to HTML5, CSS3, & JQuery, this workshop will cover the fundamentals of modern front-end web design. Not your typical "hello world!" code-from-scratch approach, it will demonstrate how to 'stand on the shoulders of giants' and take advantage of open source tools and templates to very quickly construct a fully-functional, responsive, HTML5 web sitePremium Rooms – 1 King bed $137.00
* Bring a laptop and your favorite text editor (I recommend Sublime Text)Other accommodation options can be found [https://goo. No prior experience necessarygl/aSm4MQ here.]
''Schuyler Lindberg completed his MLIS at SLAIS in 2012, and after a stint as a Digital Asset Management Consultant at BC Hydro, began his current role as Interaction Designer for Digital Projects at UBC Library Systems & Information Technology where he tests, designs, and develops user interfaces for library web applications. He is currently building a unified portal for the library's digital collections''=== Schedule ===
==== [http://tinyurl.com/c4lbcpython Intro to Python] Day 1 ====''With Alex Garnett''
* This 3 hour workshop Events will introduce the fundamentals of Python as a first (or second) programming languagebe held at [https://www. It will provide an overview of syntaxgoogle.ca/maps/place/Vancouver+Island+Regional+Library/@49.1655907, best practices-123.9386119, and how to get from A to B in simple, purposeful tasks, taking string parsing as an example17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x5488a15814a89c2b:0xa00f9e80da1f7296!8m2!3d49. This will include a brief review of (relatively) sane approaches to doing iterative development on your own, including how to solve errors on a case1655907!4d-by-case basis, without having to read coding manuals from cover to cover123.9364232 VIRL's Harbourfront library branch].
* Participants are strongly encouraged Parking: Recommend underground parking under library. Entrance to bring their own machines (Windows, Mac, lot off Front St. or Linux okay) so that they can walk away from the workshop with a workflow that works for themMuseum Way.
''Alex Garnett works on Data Curation and Digital Preservation at SFU Library. Most of his coding is self-taught, which is a good thing when it isn't a bad thing. He doesn't always like it when he hears people start evangelizing about how everyone should learn to code, but he's caught himself talking about how some people really ought to learn really useful and fun things like string functions on occasion. He has strong feelings and a bad back.'' ==== [https://github.com/mjordan/archivematicaworkshop Intro to Archivematica] ==={| class="wikitable"''With Mark Jordan'' * This 3 hour workshop will introduce [https| 8://www.archivematica.org Archivematica] as a comprehensive, ready-to-deploy digital preservation platform. We will also cover basic preservation planning and long-term management of preserved content. Participants will have the opportunity to run Archivematica on their own laptops. * Preparation for the workshop: Please come with a Mac, Windows, or Linux laptop that has the most recent version of [https://www.virtualbox.org/ VirtualBox] installed. (Note that virtual machines will run slowly on computers with less 4 GB of RAM.) A virtual machine image running Archivematica will be distributed at the workshop. Participants who cannot bring a laptop will be partnered with someone who has one. ''Mark Jordan is Head of Library Systems at Simon Fraser University. His current obsession is automating digital preservation processes but he is also interested in a lot of other things.'' == '''First Annual Code4lib BC Event''' == '''When''': November 28 and 29, 2013 '''Where''': SFU Harbour Centre, Vancouver, BC [http://goo.gl/maps/iyC0j map] '''Cost''': $20 '''Accommodations''': Info coming soon. '''Register here''': https://code4libbc2013.eventbrite.ca/ 2013-11-21: We are full at 80 people but the waitlist is 30 || Doors open. '''What''': It’s a 2 day unconference! A participant|-driven meeting featuring lightning talks in the mornings, hackfest in the afternoons, with coffee, tea and snacks provided. Lightning talks are brief presentations which are typically 5-10 minutes in length (15 minutes is the maximum) on topics related to library technologies: current projects, tips and tricks, or hacks in the works. Hackfest is an opportunity to bring participants together in an ad hoc fashion for a short, yet sustained period of problem solving, software development and fun. In advance of the event, we will gather project ideas in a form available through our wiki and registration pages. Each afternoon the code4libBC participants will review and discuss the proposals, break into groups, and work on some of the projects. '''Who''': A diverse and open community of library developers and non-developers engaging in effective, collaborative problem-solving through technology.Anyone from the library community who is interested in library technologies are welcome to join and participate, regardless of their department or background: systems and IT, public services, circulation, cataloguing and technical services, archives, digitization and preservation. All are welcome to help set the agenda, define the outcomes and develop the deliverables! '''Why''': Why not? code4libBC is a group of dynamic library technology practitioners throughout the province who want to build new relationships as much as develop new software solutions to problems. '''Tag d'hash''': #c4lbc If you’re ready to get your hands dirty with library technology practitioners, join us! As a Code4Lib event, we adhere to the Code4Lib Code of Conduct, which seeks to provide a welcoming, harassment-free environment. Please see the [http://bit.ly/coc4lib Code of Conduct] for further details. Our first annual code4libBC event could not have been made possible without the generous financial support of: * BCCATS (British Columbia Cataloguing and Technical Services Interest Group)* BC Electronic Library Network* BC Libraries Cooperative* Kwantlen Polytechnic University* Simon Fraser University* University of Victoria And special thanks to the BC Libraries Cooperative for assisting the organizing group with administrative duties. Also thanks to all our organizers* Paul Joseph (Chair)* Calvin Mah* Caroline Daniels* Cynthia Ng* Gordon Coleman* Jeff Davis* John Durno* Mark Jordan* May Chan* Shirley Lew Feel free to email Paul Joseph at paul.joseph@ubc.ca with questions or comments. '''Lightning Talk Proposals and Hackfest/Breakout Suggestions''': Submit them [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NVEGsJZvqNLyqxATdYvNonGuPmlDAFOJn-R2vGpIvWg/viewform here].  === Schedule === ==== Thursday ===={|
| 9:00 || Welcome & Announcements
|-
| 9:15 || Lightning Talks* Paul Joseph - Opening Talk* Linda Woodcock - [https://drivedocs.google.com/filepresentation/d/0B1UhJWHKf15ZX7fbH1k3odpQ7J-vRlkrh5Pi_NGl5Tnd2N3VVblUQTrmbepvKefCBXBSMA/edit?usp=sharing RDACode4libBC: 10 Things]* Mark Jordan - [https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1015702/linked_to/Making%20TGM%20Terms%20Linkable.pdf Linked Data in SFUWhat's Editorial Cartoons Collectionan Unconference]* Marcus Emmanuel Barnes - [http://www.slideshare.net/MarcusBarnes/code4-lib-bc-2013-lightening-talk SFU Library's METS-Bagger Tool]Cynthia Ng* Misty De Meo The Art of the Kludge - Archivematica Format Policy Registry (FPR)Julie Cole* Cynthia Ng Using LibAnswers as an e- [http://t.co/vIHCuuGExZ Shifting Perspectives: From Disability Accommodation to Universal Design]resource management and ticketing system - Patricia Pang* Stefan KhanBreaking Down the IT Silo -Kernahan - Course Reserves at UBCJeff Narver* May Chan The Never- [httpEnding Wrangle://ow.ly/rhk3L Hackfests for the Uninitiated]enabling fulltext search in Supplejack - Daniel Sifton
|-
| 10:30 || Coffee break
|-
| 10:45 || Schedule JamLightning Talks, cont'd* Children's Coding Gadgets and Early Literacy Skill Development - Code-a-Pillar, Osmo, and Sphero - Caitlin Ottenbreit* Open to change: Migrating to Evergreen - James Fournie / Gwenda Bryan / Dan Sifton / Geoffrey Allen* Digitization challenges for small organizations - Christine Meutzner* Weeding Reports - Trevor Smith* [http://webapp.library.uvic.ca/jdurno/durnos_old_computers_c4lbc_20181128.pdf Retro-computing collection at UVic Libraries] - John Durno
|-
| 1112:00 || Breakout Sessions* Connecting Public Services and Library Data Lunch (NE side of roomProvided) with Janis* [[Creating_a_toolkit/process_for_collaborative,_grassroots_archiving_of_significant,_small_BC_websites_using_DIY_tools]] with Scott (NW side of room)]* Omeka Plugin with John and Jon (South Central side of room)* accessibility https://docs.google.com/document/d/13zM-Q84eYJqvfLdYWU8PkAf_z8RbeJC_iskPB5QlSo8/edit* Learn more about UBC'c Reserves Project* How to build in accessibility
|-
| 1 Hour :00 || Lunch (On Your Own) Breakout Sessions * Hosting Code4libBC - Cynthia Ng, Daniel Sifton . . . * [httphttps://eg2013docs.sitkagoogle.bclibraries.cacom/social-eventsdocument/#thursdayd/1XuxxL6arEcpAzDWnGKTNC7xBH881-lunch SuggestionsDqOSAkuJT_aXW8/edit?usp=sharing Web Archiving Community of Practice]- Dana McFarland / Larissa Ringham
|-
| 32:15 30 || Break
|-
| 32:30 45 || Breakout ReportsSessions, cont'd *Excel for Librarians - Trevor Smith*Creativity Commons: Open House - Jason/Jonathan Bigalow
|-
| 4:00 || Breakout Reports|-| 5:00 || SocialEvent at [http://whitesailsbrewing.com/ White Sails Brewery] with pizza from [http://mambogourmetpizza.com/ Mambo Pizza]* [https://goo.gl/6MM7vv Directions] from VIRL to White Sails
|}
==== Friday Day 2 ====Events will be held at [https://www2.viu.ca/map/ VIU's Building 305, Room 507] A bus (with a friendly, qualified driver) will pick up attendees from the Coast Bastion on Friday morning at 8:20 am. If needed the bus will return for another load of passengers ~20 minutes later.  Parking: Closest is Lot N; some spaces in Lots F & C are short-term; [https://www2.viu.ca/facilities/Campus_Development/Site%20Map%20and%20Info/Site%20Map%20BARRIER%20FREE%20ROUTES%20Nanaimo%20Campus.pdf VIU Parking Map]  {|class="wikitable"| 8:30 || Doors open|-
| 9:00 || Announcements
|-
| 9:15 || Lightning Talks* Mark Jordan Sets with Tommy and Gina : Curation and selection in Supplejack - Daniel Sifton* Integrating Point of Sale with your ILS - Philippe Lajoie* Advocacy & Digital Licensing - Emily Mathews* Legislative Library Tools to Capture Video/Website - Charles Hogg* [https://dldocs.dropboxusercontentgoogle.com/upresentation/1015702d/linked_to18Ohz2bDcVr0FvKppD3q-oh6AjS6f3_mPES1mRF4Iww8/docr_smd%20%40%20%23c4lbc.pdf DOCRedit?usp=sharingWagtail CMS (built on django/SMD] [https://github.com/mjordan/docr-smd Source code]* Peter Tyrrell - Parsing PDF into Various Formatspython), [https:my experiences getting out of the drupal//gist.github.com/peaeater Powershell scriptswordpress paradigm]* John Durno - Uploading to Internet Archive via API* Colleen Bell - Integrating ERM & Libguides Content* James MacGregor - PKP Article Level Metrics with OJS and OMP* Jonathan Schatz - The Story of BC Libraries' IT Environments* <strike>Sarah Sutherland - RFP Evaluation Process</strike>* Paul Joseph - UBC Digital Library Framework* Calvin Mah / Todd Holbrook - SFU Library - Hours DatabaseDan Lerch
|-
| 10:30 || Coffee break
|-
| 1110:00 45 || Breakout SessionsLightning Talks, cont'd * New bibliographic environment with May and MarkPatron Counters - James Fournie* Engaging digital asset viewer* library hours tool & api* UBC IT Reorg by Paul* Learn more about Archivematica with Misty and Courtney* Library Hours Tools & API* Hacking ILS's - [https://docsdrive.google.com/documentfile/d/1a8gH5JAJXSt4eix5TOaWnm0aUWTTv5U1jgqEc1zAYg41RqSjNxDWnT4-IiqQPP4PyW823R4jOxG4/edit Google docview Attack of the webforms!]- Paul Burry* ILS cloud migration - Olga Kalachinskaya* Hacking devices - Calvin Mah
|-
| 1 Hour 12:00 || Lunch (On Your OwnProvided) [http://eg2013.sitka.bclibraries.ca/social-events/#thursday-lunch Suggestions]
|-
| 31:15 00 || Breakout Sessions* [https://cynthia.gitlab.io/intro-to-git-and-gitlab/ Learn to Collaborate and Contribute to Projects on GitLab + with Git!] - Cynthia Ng* [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oerwPDMnYEHSa5JTnjGzoGOsHXvP9oToJxG11QIfEUI/edit?usp=sharing I '♥' Wikipedia] - Dana McFarland/Andie Tomlinson |-| 2:30 || Break|-| 2:45 || Breakout Sessions, cont'd <!--* Linking video and audio in the Hansard (Expanded/Discussion) - Mike Sinclair* [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LyL5AlPTTMW2YMT6-YG2p4iSiYQBA76RFwnH9h3wIyY/edit?usp=sharing All the DOCs]: Documentation and workflows - Cynthia Ng / Tamarack Hockin* Wordpress nightmare - Allison Trumble -->
|-
| 34:30 00 || Breakout Reports* Library as platform - Maryann Kempthonre* Cries for help / Tales of fails|-| 5:00 ||Meet up somewhere for drinks <!-- at [http://dev-viusu.pantheonsite.io/students-union-pub/ VIU Student Pub] -->
|-
| 4:00 || End of Day
|}
=== '''Lightning Talk Proposals''' = Feedback ====
John DurnoPost conference, University of Victoria* Filling up don't forget to fill out the Internet Archive using their S3-like API[https://goo.gl/forms/eisFcofDCtEl7jL52 feedback form] . . . UVic recently uploaded 750G of old newspapers and metadata (over 15,000 issues) get a chance to the IA via their API, based on Amazon's S3, by way of win a simple python script making use of the boto library and a wrapper supplied by one of the IA developers. The API proved surprisingly robust, and I'd like to spread the word.prize!
=== Organizers ===
Peter Tyrrell, Andornot* Setting up Apache Solr to index and search over multiple source types: database and fielded data, Excel/CSV, scanned mags and newspapers, PDFs, word processor documents, websites, geolocations, etc. Focus will be on schema and DataImportHandler considerations, plus amusing anecdotes as time allows.Daniel Sifton* Another option would be: scripts that parse a PDF into a TIF, JPG, TXT, and positional XML per page via djvulibre and imagemagick libraries. Make 'em ready for indexing and flexible display.Dana McFarland* I could maybe go over how to (and how NOT to) represent and display hierarchical (cough, archival) data in an Apache Solr index. Mostly this would be a juicy rant about how just how ruddy difficult I found it.  Stefan Khan-Kernahan, The University of British ColumbiaBen Hyman* UBC is launching an in-house product for managing course reserves that helps streamline workflows between faculty & library, within library staff (e.g copyright control etc.), and library & student, which I'd like to present on, the content of which would be on completed modules to date and learning lessons for others  Marcus Emmanuel Barnes, Simon Fraser UniversityJason Kuffler* Normalizing existing digitized content into standardized packages for robust long-term management. A report on SFU Library's METS-Bagger tool, with a discussion of the benefits, design principles used for the packaging specification, and potential next steps.  Colleen Bell, University of the Fraser ValleyCharles Hogg* I've been using PHP, JSON, and Libguides widgets to integrate Libguides content into our ERM and ERM content into our Libguides. This is particularly useful for libraries using SFU's researcher suite, but could provide ideas for anyone, since the code generated by the PHP can be displayed in any web page.  Mark Jordan, Simon Fraser UniversityParis Carr* Libraries are realizing the potential for both exposing their locally managed content as Linked Data and for consuming Linked Data. One of the types of local data that offers a lot of promise for leveraging Linked Data's capabilities is the controlled subject terms applied to local digital collections. I would like to demonstrate how I've enriched SFU's Editorial Cartoons Collection's descriptive metadata with URIs from http://id.loc.gov, paying particular attention to those from the Thesaurus for Graphic Material.James Fournie* Explanation and demo of docr/smd, a distributed Optical Character Recognition platform designed to use smartphones and tablets to do the OCR.  May Chan, Burnaby Public Library* Hackfests for the Uninitiated. For all sorts of reasons, hackfests can be intimidating to first-timers and especially to those who have little or no programming ability. To encourage those new to this form of collaborative learning, my LT will relate key a-ha! moments from my first hackfest experience, especially some difficult truths learned.* The Code4Lib Conference Gender and Minority Scholarships. One of the ways Code4Lib supports gender and cultural diversity is to offer conference scholarships to women, transgendered persons and persons of ethnic or aboriginal descent. As a way to encourage potential BC applicants, this LT will give some nuanced background on the scholarship program and application process.   Calvin Mah / Todd Holbrook, SFU Library* SFU Library - Hours Database. The Library Hours Database developed by Todd Holbrook at SFU Library is a tool for managing library hours. The SFU Library hours page is generated by this database: http://www.lib.sfu.ca/about/hours  Sarah Sutherland, Canadian Legal Information Institute* I would like to discuss the process involved in evaluating the responses to requests for proposals for technology projects. There are often several very good submissions once the basic requirements are met, and at that point it becomes more about the style of the vendor and what kind of project it is. We recently went through this process, so I will use some anonymized examples from our process to illustrate my talk.  Cynthia Ng, CILS @ Langara College* Shifting Perspectives: From Disability Accommodation to Universal Design<br>Too often we design for the "average" user and then tack on accommodations for those with disabilities, but there is no "average" user to speak of, and we all use "assistive" technology. With this presentation, I hope to help shift the way we think about library services and their delivery.  Linda Woodcock, Kwantlen Polytechnic UniversityTamarack Hockin* RDA : 10 Things. Walks through an RDA record focusing on new data elements and changes from AACR2. Will talk about benefits to user and possibilities for the future use of new data.  Jonathan Schatz, BC Libraries Cooperative* This summer a colleague and I toured three library federations BC as "field librarians". These treks were part of a unique project to survey the IT environments of the Co-op's member libraries. In addition to sharing the data with the libraries as actionable status reports, we are developing an app to track all this member data for our support team, allowing for a high-level snapshot of Sitka libraries. I want to tell a quick story about what sorts of configurations and solutions we saw out there, what seem to work, what to avoid and perhaps some DIY tips for technology management for libraries with fewer resources.  James MacGregor, Simon Fraser University Library* Public Knowledge Project has been working with PLOS to implement article level metrics within OJS and OMP. We are past the initial development stage, with a number of implementations live in production environments. We will discuss the available toolset, and future plans for it.  Misty De Meo, Artefactual Systems* Archivematica Format Policy Registry (FPR)<br>Archivematica is an open-source digital preservation platform.<br>Starting with version 1.0, Archivematica has made much of the standard behaviour of Archivematica configurable. The FPR provides a database of the recognized formats in Archivematica along with the rules used to control how files are identified, how metadata is extracted, and how files are normalized, all of which is customizable by users without changing the Archivematica source code. This lightning talk would go over the FPR and what it enables in Archivematica, as well as the open-source FPR administrator app.* FITS performance optimizations<br>Archivematica has begun work on performance improvements to reduce the performance overhead of the FITS file identification tool in digital preservation workflows. This lightning talk would go over the major performance bottlenecks discovered and discuss the ways in which Archivematica is working to improve them. === '''Hackfest/Breakout Suggestions''' === Requests, but facilitator needed:* Want to put us where the user is - discuss* collaboratively improve an open source project's crappy documentation* my website is stuck in a crappy institutional CMS. What can I do with it? John Durno, University of Victoria* Develop an Omeka module that uses the Internet Archive to host video and audio content, essentially using Omeka as the front end user interface while taking advantage of the IA's media delivery/streaming capabilities. I envision two components: content and metadata would be uploaded via Omeka's admin interface. The IA's media player would be embedded in the public interface for content delivery.  Stefan Khan-Kernahan, The University of British Columbia* Building a more engaging digital asset viewer than what is provided by ContentDM/competitors. Details: current digital asset presentation (e.g Content DM), whilst providing all the ""necessary"" information for the user (image + metadata etc.) simply lack in user engagement. If universities are expecting to build interest in these collections among current/future students, they need to cater for a more involved experience. I am proposing an image viewer for digital assets that allows tagging/hotspot that trigger supplementary information beyond metadata (e.g. video explanations of areas on maps, how they came to be etc)  Karen J. Nelson, Capilano Unversity Library* Could we have a quickie: 1. FRBR explanation. 2. ditto data exchange. 3. ditto linked data. 4. bibframe. 5. WEMI language  Jonathan Jacobsen, Andornot* I'm working on a virtual exhibit project using Omeka right now, so I second the idea of an Omeka breakout session. Would love to connect with some other Omeka users/developers. In particular, to discuss the Solr plug-in.  Scott Leslie, BC Libraries CooperativeAllison Trumble* [[Creating a toolkit/process for collaborative, grassroots archiving of significant, small BC websites using DIY tools]]Geoffrey Allen
May Chan, Burnaby Public Library, and Mark Jordan, Simon Fraser University* New bibliographic environment. This breakout session will provide opportunities for us to explore new and emerging models for bibliographic data, such as FRBR, the DCMI Abstract Model, and BIBFRAME with the context of the Resource Description Framework (RDF) and Linked Data. This breakout will take the approach of self-directed learning in a collaborative environment (i.e. there will be no expert talking heads). In the first hour, we will individually review some [http://ow.ly/rb9jo suggested background material]. As we work through the material, we will record topics of interest and Comments or questions [http://ow.ly/rb9ql here]. Feel free to add other suggested resources and related topics/questions at any time. Feel free to add to the [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuvRlkrh5Pi_dDVzbVFCY1ZLR2x0cmVwT3FERk5ZZmc&usp=sharing Glossary]. In the second hour, based on things learned and topics/questions generated Get in Hour 1, we will assemble into groups of 2 or 3 and develop a 10touch with us at c4lbc-minute 'overview' of one topic/question to explore furtherorganizers@googlegroups. We can sign up for them once we collectively finalize the topics. In the last hour, we will present our overviews to the larger groupcom.
= '''Past Events''' =
Janis McKenzie, Simon Fraser University* What do we really know about library use and what can we do with this information? The general idea of this breakout session is to connect those who made decisions about public services (and want to make more informed public service decisions) and those who have access to data on how library resources of all types are being used. The expected outcome would be to work towards identifying the types of activities that reflect how libraries are used today, with a focus on the impact of new, emerging, and future library servicesSee our [[BC_Past_Events|past events]] page.
85
edits

Navigation menu