2017 Social Activities
- 1 Code4Lib 2017 Social Activities
- 1.1 Planned Events
- 1.2 Social Map - Places of Interest
- 1.3 Ideas
- 1.4 Local Food and Drink
- 1.5 LA Events
- 1.6 Getting Around
Code4Lib 2017 Social Activities
The Social Activities Group is working on several events and social opportunities for after conference hours. We will be adding more events as they come along. Watch this page!
Also, if you find a cool event to go to, and want to share the wealth with others, feel free to add the event to the page. :)
UCLA Library DIIT Open House
Stop by the Charles E. Young Research Library to see activity by the conference host's Digital Initiatives and Information Technology department.
- Monday, March 6th, 4pm-6pm
- drop in; stay as long as you like
- More information
Newcomer Dinner, Monday, March 6th
First time at code4lib? Join fellow c4l newbies and veterans for an evening of food, socializing, and stimulating
discussions about demonstrations of the many uses of bacon XML EZProxy LibGuides alternatives spreadsheets documentation.
Code4Lib veterans, you're invited too. Join us in welcoming the newcomers!
- When: Monday, March 6th
- Suggested Time: 6 PM (ish) or whenever you can get your group together
- Mastermind (if you have any questions): Becky Yoose
- Max of 6 per group
- Please, no waitlisting
- Some restaurants can hold multiple groups of six. It is up to you to investigate the venue to see if this is possible.
- ID yourselves so we can get a good mix of new people and veterans in each group
- New folks - n
- c4l vets - v
- One leader needed for each location (declare yourself! - Vets are highly encouraged to lead the group)
- Leader duties
- Make reservations if required; otherwise make sure that the restaurant can handle a group of 6 rowdy library tech type folks
- Herd folks from hotel to restaurant (know where you're going!)
- Leader duties
- See a restaurant that's not listed? Feel free to add one, but please make sure that it is open that Monday evening.
NB! This year's Newcomer Dinner options are not close to the convention center and hotel. You will most likely be relying on public transportation, taxis, or ride-sharing services to get to your destination. Please plan accordingly.
Conference Reception, Tuesday, March 7th
- When: 3/7/17, 6 pm - 8 pm
- Where: Fowler Museum, UCLA
Enjoy several of the museum's galleries and spaces while getting a chance to meet other attendees outside of the conference room. Light hors d'oeuvres and drinks will be provided. More information about what exhibits will be open can be found on the Code4Lib website.
#LibTechWomen Meet-Up, Wednesday, March 8th
- When: 3/8/17, 6 pm - 8 pm
- Where: BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse, a 10-min walk from the conference venue.
- Sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdZUXThI7bAdjKgL33a2nOpy4uVj2eoEipXDCahwtpqfKtDGA/viewform
LibTechWomen is a supportive space for women and their friends to network, develop skills, build confidence, and lead positive change. Are you a lurker? Are you a newcomer? All are welcome! Come meet wonderful colleagues in library technology!
We will meet at 5:45 at the lobby and walk over to the pub. Afterwards we will head out to Play and Share.
- When: 3/8/17, 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm
- Where: Kerckhoff Hall, UCLA
Play games? Have some homemade (or “homemade”) treats to share? Want to find folks to play music with? We organized a large open room near the conference center with plenty of space for attendees to gather and socialize, play games and share goodies. We will provide tables and chairs for Board Game Night and some space for jam sessions. You are also welcome to bring stuff to share, from craft sodas and beers to baked goods to local treats - we’ll have a few tables set up for that as well.
More venue information can be found on the Code4Lib website. If you plan to bring something to play or share, please sign up below!
List of Games
- game title, who will bring it, any other info about the game
- Gubs, Hardy Pottinger, a friendly easy-to-pick-up game, strategic-ish, not as random as Flux.
- Magic The Gathering, Hardy Pottinger, some random intro deck, not brilliant, parent-class (presents enough challenge to keep all players amused, but if you play at all, you'll beat it).
- Age of War, Matt Sherman, a simple dice rolling game of capturing Japanese castles.
- Arcana, Matt Sherman, a deckbuilding/bidding game of underworld guilds jockeying for power in a fantasy city.
- Blood Bowl: Team Manager, Matt Sherman, a game of fantasy football (i.e. orc and elves) representing managers running their teams trying to get the most fans in a season.
List of Goodies
- brand, flavor, allergen alerts (if any)
Social Map - Places of Interest
For a visual-ish view of recommended food, drink, and activities in LA, please visit this awesome Google Map.
Please add your idea with date/time! If you want to participate, please add your name.
- More formalized outing to The Getty Center on Sunday and/or Thursday afternoon?
- Jog4Lib - Ben Wallberg
- Trip to Getty
- Hammer Museum
- Queen Mary Tour -Chad Kluck (Thursday afternoon, 2:15 or 4:15 tour, $27)
- Museum of Jurassic Technology ~Hardy Pottinger (Date/Time unsure)
Local Food and Drink
A more visual list of food and drink places can be found on the Google Map.
Where To Eat at UCLA — a guide to food on campus.
Zomato —The 200 or so restaurants and coffee shops in and around Westwood, sorted by distance.
Saturday and Sunday, March 4 & 5
- Saturday only - International Printing Museum (You can also make an appointment during the week to see the museum!)
- Saturday only - José González & The Göteborg String Theory, Royce Hall, UCLA
- Sunday only - Smorgasburg, L.A.
- White Guy on The Bus, The Road on Magnolia
- Nixon in China, Los Angeles Philharmonic John Adams conducts, at Walt Disney Concert Hall
Monday, March 6
Tuesday, March 7
Wednesday, March 8
- Incident at Oglala, Hammer Museum
Thursday, March 9
- Breaking News: Turning the Lends on Mass Media, Getty Center
- David Bowie: Among the Mexican Masters, Forest Lawn Memorial Park
- Fun Home, Ahmanson Theatre
- Zoot Suit Mark Taper Forum
All info on getting to the hotel is on the conference website: http://2017.code4lib.org/venue/